Tomatoes are without a doubt one of my favorite ingredients. They work in SO many recipes. Salads, stews, sauces, salsas, as toppings, roasted, grilled… you name it. So, to continue with this month’s HFF & American Express theme of with foods inspired by travel, we’re going to go with an Italian dish!
I have recently been craving a hearty bolognese over my traditional meat sauce. What is the difference between the two? Well for one, some different ingredients, but two, the bolognese sauce is cooked down until it is thick and hearty. I made this for a nice weeknight dinner, and we wanted it again the same week.
Give yourself 30-minutes and you’ll have the perfect Italian-style dinner. Guilt-free!
- 1 lb. grass-fed beef
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 can organic tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or ground garlic)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, more to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon (or more) red pepper flakes