Lemon bars are one of my staple Summer desserts and I can’t wait for you to try this paleo version! The perfect balance of tart lemon, buttery crust, and just the right amount of sweetness.
It took us a few tries to perfect this recipe, but man was it WORTH IT! These lemon bars are bursting with lemon goodness and the crust compliments the lemon curd so perfectly. No one will be able to tell these are grain and gluten-free! They will be the hit of your summer BBQs!
This lemon curd would be an amazing filling inside of a cupcake! Perfect for the Classic Vanilla Cupcakes in my cookbook!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter OR coconut oil*, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees °F.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine all crust ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix well. Press evenly into the baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is lightly brown.
- While curst bakes, make the lemon curd.
- Place lemon curd ingredients, except for the butter, in a small saucepan.
- Over low heat, whisk the lemon curd until it becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and take off heat. This process should take around 8-10 minutes.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the lemon curd into a medium mixing bowl. Add in the butter and stir well until melted.
- Pour lemon curd over the crust. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Set aside, let cool completely, cover, and store in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to set.
- Top with powdered sugar, slice, and devour!
*Store in the refrigerator.