Gluten Free Mini Waffles with Cinnamon Apple Topping
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: approximately 25 waffle bites 1x
For Mini Waffles:
- Melted butter or high-heat cooking spray, for greasing waffle iron
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (48 grams) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
For Cinnamon Apples:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
To Make “Churro Style”:
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (or coconut oil)
- Pre-heat waffle maker set to low heat and brush liberally with melted butter or high-heat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract until fully combined. Add in the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt whisk to combine.
- Following the directions for your waffle maker, cook four waffles at a time by adding 1 tablespoon of waffle mix to each quadrant. Cook until waffles are light brown and set aside until all of the waffle batter is used.
- Meanwhile, make the cinnamon apples: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add diced apples, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Mix well. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until apples are soft and a light brown color. Taste and adjust cinnamon as needed. Take off heat and set aside.
- To make finished waffles churro style: Add cinnamon and coconut sugar to a small mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, melt the butter. Brush waffles with melted butter and working in batches, carefully dip the waffles into the cinnamon sugar mixture until the waffles are well coated.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup!
- You can place the finished waffles in an oven set to 200°F to keep warm while you cook the rest of the waffles and prepare the caramelized apples, but this is not necessary!
- To freeze the mini waffles: Place fully cooled waffles flat on a sheet pan and freeze completely, then place in a bag with an air tight seal for longer term storage. Freezing them flat first ensures they keep their shape. Waffles will keep frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat place in a toaster oven until heated through
- Waffles will keep for four days in the refrigerator!