Posted by https://lexiscleankitchen.com/gluten-free-apple-scones/
© 2018 Lexi's Clean Kitchen. All rights reserved.
- 2-1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup maple sugar
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples (we like gala, granny smith or braeburn)
- raw sugar, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, tapioca starch, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg until no clumps remain.
- Add in cold butter and quickly using a pastry cutter or your fingertips blend the butter into the flour until only small pieces remain. Add in the maple sugar and toss to combine.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together 1 egg, almond milk, vanilla extract. Grate one apple, skin on if desired, into the wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredient mixture into flour mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Peel and chop remaining apple into 1/4" dice and fold into scone mixture until mixture is completely combined.
- Place scone batter onto the parchment paper and pat down into an 8" circle. Using a pizza cutter or bench scraper cut circle in half 4 times to create 8 scones.
- Whisk together remaining egg and then brush on top of scone mixture. Top with raw sugar, if using.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cut again. Carefully using a flat spatula move scones apart leaving at least 1" of room apart.
- Return to oven to bake for 10 more minutes. Remove and turn scones around so that the pointed edge faces the outside of the baking. This ensures those edges are crispy as well.
- Bake for the remaining 10 minutes, until all the edges are crispy.
- Serve with apple butter.
Loading nutrition data...