This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Who loves a hearty and creamy soup with minimal ingredients but all the deliciousness? This Healthy Broccoli Soup checks off all those boxes and can be on your table in 30 minutes flat.
This vegetarian soup is gluten-free with options for dairy-free and to make it Paleo and Whole30 friendly.
Healthy Broccoli Soup
Broccoli soup may not sound exciting, but if you’ve had a good bowl of it, you know it can be something to swoon over.There are versions out there that rely on tons of cheese, as well as other dairy and gluten to bump up the flavor but it doesn’t have to be that way.
This Healthy Broccoli Soup recipe relies instead on wholesome ingredients paired thoughtfully together to make a tasty soup that still makes you feel satisfied after you’ve eaten it, but doesn’t weigh you down.
This soup relies on good cooking techniques and a few tricks to leave you with the best healthy broccoli soup recipe!
Broccoli Soup Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make it. Scroll down for the full recipe!
- Butter or Oil
- Vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese (to garnish, and totally optional)
How to Make it
While this soup FEELS creamy, there is absolutely no cream or dairy-free cream replacements in here. Instead this soup relies on some good cooking techniques to get that creamy feel.
- To start, cook down some leeks and garlic with a combination of butter and oil. If you are making this totally dairy-free, obviously omit the butter. You don’t need to add an extra tablespoon of oil in it’s place, as the butter is just there for a small flavor boost. Cook down the leeks until they are softened and aromatic.
- Next add in the vegetable broth and half of the broccoli florets. At this point you want to be cooking the broccoli until it just tender. Once they’re tender you puree them to create that nice creamy feel.
- Then, add in the remaining broccoli florets and cook until it’s fork tender. The longer you cook the broccoli the more muted the green gets.
- If you are adding in a touch of cheese, you can do so now at this point, and stir it in the soup. Or you can just top your bowl of soup.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Then, enjoy!
How to Wash Leeks
Leeks can be notoriously dirty. It’s important to clean them well before using them. To clean leeks:
- Cut off the hard and dark green parts of the leeks off and discard. Cut off the bottom of the leek and then slice the leek in halve. Take that halve and slice it into 1/4″ pieces.
- Fill a large bowl with cool water.
- Submerge the leek pieces and swish around for 10 seconds.
- Let the leeks sit for 1 minute in the cool water to let any grit sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Without agitating the water too much, quickly pick up the leeks directly out of the water, leaving behind any sand or dirt.
- Empty the water and rinse out the bowl and repeat this until step until the water is clear after you remove the leeks.
Now this isn’t your broccoli and cheddar soup from Panera, but trust us, it’ll be a favorite. Whenever I make it it’s gone instantly! It’s a healthy soup that is both delicious and nourishing at the same time.
What Goes Well with Broccoli Soup?
Aside from garnishing (if you wish) with a pile of cheese, you can whip up some easy bread and make some yummy garlic bread!
Alternatively, some chips of choice or kale chips, baked potatoes, or just as a meal with sandwiches would also be yummy additions!
Watch The Video:
More Soup Recipes
Healthy Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter (omit for dairy-free)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned well and sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 cups
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- Heat butter and oil over medium-low. Once butter is melted add leeks and garlic and cook for for 10 minutes, until the leeks are very tender.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add in half of broccoli florets and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the broccoli is very tender.
- If adding cheese, do so here and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve hot!