Posted by https://lexiscleankitchen.com/savory-sausage-oatmeal/
© 2019 Lexi's Clean Kitchen. All rights reserved.
Savory Breakfast Sausage Oatmeal
Savory oatmeal with breakfast sausage is a great start to the day, filled with fiber and protein and so delicious. It's gluten-free, optionally dairy-free and a great make-ahead breakfast idea.
- 4 cups water or stock (veggie or chicken)
- 2 cups (old fashioned) rolled oats
- 1/2 red onion, diced very fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
- 3 green onions, sliced and divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- cooked sunny side up or poached eggs (optional)
- In a pot over medium heat bring water/stock to a boil.
- Add oats, red onion, salt and garlic powder, stir to combine and and lower the heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the oatmeal is creamy and tender. Stir in maple syrup, if using.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add oil and ground breakfast sausage. Cook until the sausage is brown. Remove sausage to a plate lined with paper towel (or a clean kitchen towel) and let excess fat drain.
- Divide oatmeal into 4 bowls and top with sausage, green onions, cheese and eggs, if desired. If cooking for meal prep do not add cheese until after it has be re-heated.
- Can omit cheese and add in 1 tablespoons of nutritional yeast into the oatmeal if looking for a "cheesy" taste.
Loading nutrition data...
Some elements of this website will not work correctly while your adblocker is enabled. Please disable your adblocker and reload the page.