This Easy Black Bean Soup recipe is a delicious and quick weeknight dinner or lunch meal prep. It’s vegan, takes about 30 minutes and so hearty! Garnish with your favorite toppings and you have a warm, quick satisfying meal! I am literally in love with this soup. Mike also loved it cold as a black bean dip!
Quick Black Bean Soup
Come the cooler weather and all I’m craving for dinner is a warming soup! You all know I love this chicken soup, or really any of these other ones, but every once in a while I’m craving something hearty and this Quick Black Bean Soup does the trick! Mike loves it too! While beans and legumes aren’t an every day food for us, when my gut health is in check I find I can tolerate them from time to time. Definitely do what is best for your health! We also love how economical this soup is to make, with staple ingredients. This serves about 6 portions, so if you have some leftover it’d be a great meal to bring for lunch later in the week.
We wanted to make this a really quick weeknight dinner soup, we opted for use of canned black beans. Just make sure to drain and rinse them really well! This one is also a bit on the grown-up side with the spice, so feel free to omit the jalapeño and lower the chipotle powder, if necessary, for those who don’t love the heat.
How do you make black bean soup out of canned black beans?
We loved how quick this soup is thanks to canned black beans. To make simply:
- Saute your aromatics.
- Add your spices, seasoning and stock and beans and cook for 10 minutes.
- We puree some at the end, but this is optional!
Tools we used for this recipe:
If you like this soup recipe, check out these others healthy soups we love:
- Lasagna Soup
- Gluten-Free Minestrone Soup (30 minutes)
- Healthy Broccoli Soup
- Meatball and Veggie Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 jalapeño, fine dice with seeds (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 or 2 teaspoons chipotle powder (choose your heat level, or omit. We use 2)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 quart (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 3-14.5 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinse
- for garnish: cilantro sprigs, cotija cheese (optional: leave out for vegan) and avocado
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot add oil, onion, carrots and celery and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add jalepeño, garlic and all seasoning and spices and cook for 1 minute to toast them (be careful not to breathe in any spicy steam).
- Add in lime juice, vegetable stock and black beans. Raise the heat to high to bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetable stock reduced and the soup has thickened slightly.
- If you want to puree the soup (we do), reserve 1-2 cups on the side. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Stir in the reserved soup.
- Garnish with cilantro, avocado and cotija cheese, if using.