These Gluten Free Classic Potato Latkes are just like grandma makes them, only made without any refined white flour! They have the classic delicious flavors you want, and I guarantee that nobody will know they are gluten-free!
Gluten-Free Classic Potato Latkes
Just look at that crispy outside!
How do you make potato latkes?
- Peel and grate the potatoes and onions Place strained mixture into a large bowl.
- Add in everything else and mix well.
- Place oil into a large pan and heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot, make patties out of the potato mixture (squeeze out even more excess liquid as you make patties) and pan-fry until brown on both sides.
- Should take about 3-4 minutes on each side but watch closely to avoid burning. Add more oil as needed.
- Serve with applesauce or sour cream and enjoy!
Do you eat your latkes with applesauce or sour cream? I’m applesauce all the way, and I love making my own! It tastes so much better! Find the applesauce recipe in my cookbook, which is now on sale for $14 (60% off)!!
Potato Latke Pro Tips:
- Don’t wear a shirt you care about while making these! Haha.
- Make a tiny one to test in case you want to adjust salt for remaining batches.
- I keep my strainer near by so I can strain extra liquid as needed.
- After grating potatoes, place into a bowl of cold water. This helps bring out some of the starch!
Do I need to peel potatoes for latkes?
Wash and scrub the potatoes if you want to keep the skins on, or peel them!
Can you make potato latkes ahead of time?
Other Hanukkah recipe favorites include:
- Nanny’s Potted Chicken (in my cookbook)
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Classic Chicken Soup
- Roasted Chicken
- How to Roast a Turkey
- Easy Turkey Roast
Watch the video:
- 6 potatoes (makes about 6.5 cups shredded potatoes)
- 2 medium onions (makes 1 cup grated)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons arrowroot flour/starch
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup of oil of choice, or enough oil to cover pan to a debt of 1/2 inch (I like avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil)
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Grate the onions. Add grated mixture to a fine mesh strainer lined with a cheese cloth and strain as much excess water out as possible. Place strained mixture into a large bowl. Mince garlic and add it to the bowl with the potato and onion.
- Add in the eggs, arrowroot flour/starch, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place 1/2 cup of oil into a large pan and heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot, make patties out of the potato mixture (squeeze out even more excess liquid as you make patties) and pan-fry until brown on both sides. Should take about 3-4 minutes on each side but watch closely to avoid burning.
- Makes 10-12 large latkes.
- Paired with the Homemade Apple Sauce in the Lexi's Clean Kitchen Cookbook