Creamy Pumpkin Casserole
This Creamy Pumpkin Casserole is my new favorite fall fish. This optionally dairy-free dish has pumpkin, spinach, and chicken and is topped with a delicious sauce and baked to perfection. It’s Paleo and Whole30, too.
Dairy-free Pumpkin Casserole
I know most people think of sweet when they think of pumpkin, but savory pumpkin dishes are so delicious! There are so many good ones like pumpkin soup and Pumpkin BBQ Sauce and of course, this casserole! This hearty fall dinner is packed full of pumpkin flavor, both in the sauce and within the casserole itself. Plus, this one is paleo friendly and lower-carb thanks to the use of spaghetti squash as the base!
- Cooked Spaghetti Squash
- Shallot and Onion
- Chicken (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese (optional, omit for dairy-free)
- Almond Milk
If you are all about the pumpkin recipes, check out these others:
- Homemade Pumpkin Purée
- How to Make Pumpkin Butter
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie (Nut-Free, Too!)
- Sea Salt Chocolate Pumpkin Cups
Creamy Pumpkin Casserole
This Creamy Pumpkin Casserole is my new favorite fall fish. This optionally dairy-free casserole has pumpkin, spinach, and chicken and is topped with a delicious pumpkin sauce and baked to perfection. It's Paleo and Whole30, too.
- 1 large spaghetti squash, about 5 cups cooked
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups pumpkin or squash of choice, peeled and diced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups spinach
- Optional: 1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
For the sauce
- Cook spaghetti squash. Find instructions here.
- In a large skillet over medium heat heat 1 tablespoon oil and add onion shallots, and garlic cook for 1-2 minutes, until shallot just starts to become translucent. Add in pumpkin or squash and cook until just about tender, about 8 minutes. Add in chicken, and a big pinch of salt and pepper and continue cook until no pink remains, about 8 minutes. Add in 2 cups of spinach and cook for 3-5 minutes, until spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix all sauce ingredients together and set aside. Grease a 8" x 8" (or similar sized) casserole dish and set aside.
- Take spaghetti squash out of oven, let cool. Using a fork scrape out the spaghetti squash into a greased casserole pan. Add in pumpkin and chicken mixture, and top with the sauce. Top with Parmesan, if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, and broil for 5 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.