This Quick Spicy Italian Chicken in Tomatoes is such a simple and quick weeknight dinner, that is packed with so much flavor! There is option to turn up, or eliminate the heat of the dish, but either way it’s delicious. Serve these chicken breasts in tomato sauce alongside roasted green beans and you have yourself a perfect low-carb, paleo-friendly, Whole30 approved meal that takes under 30 minutes to prepare! Talk about a WIN!
Quick Cooked Chicken Breast in Tomato Sauce
Easy weeknight dinners are THE BEST! This quick cooking Spicy Italian Chicken in Tomatoes is a super delicious dinner to cook when you have less than 30 minutes to get food on the table and you are relying on pantry staples!
We made this low carb by serving it with roasted green beans, but if you want to go a little heavier with the carbs and have a little bit more time on your hands you can serve it with roasted potatoes, rice or pasta.
We love spice, but not everybody does, especially if you are serving kids at the table. Feel free to omit the red pepper flakes in this dish, or lower the heat by adding in just half.
Ingredients Needed to Make this Italian Chicken in Tomatoes:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning
- Dried Basil
- Whole Plum Tomatoes
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Green Beans
You can also substitute whatever seasonal veggies you have on hand to roast as well. Cauliflower would be great here, as would zucchini or eggplant.
If you like this chicken recipe, check out these others:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken (dairy-free)
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Roasted Chicken Dinner
- Sheet Pan Ranch Chicken and Veggies
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. organic chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cups whole plum tomatoes (in sauce)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chili sauce or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Optional: 2 handfuls fresh organic spinach
Roasted Green Beans
- Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Pat chicken dry. Season with Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Gently place chicken in pan. Let sear for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until all sides are nicely browned.
- Add crushed garlic and onion to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add in tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until sauce has reduced and the chicken is fully cooked through.
- While sauce is simmering, pre-heat the oven to 350 ℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss green beans in olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper. Bake green beans for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked through. When done, set aside until chicken has finished cooking.
- If adding spinach, add to the pan for the last 1-2 minutes of simmering until the spinach has started to wilt.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot with roasted green beans!
- Green Beans: Pre-heat oven to 350 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss green beans in garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet. Once oven is pre-heated, bake for 10-15 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- This post was updated in March, 2017