These Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are so creamy, flavorful and delicious and make a great lunch or dinner! They also could be perfect as a make-ahead meal option. This buffalo chicken sweet potato recipe is nutritious and filling, gluten-free and optionally made Paleo and Whole30 by omitting the cheese.
Buffalo Chicken Baked Sweet Potato
Who doesn’t love potato skins? Nobody! Who doesn’t love potatoes skins that are made healthier but still with all the flavor? Can’t think of anyone! These healthier baked sweet potato skins are stuffed with a creamy buffalo chicken dip packed with extra veggies and nutrients. These are the perfect appetizer for a game day party, or a super delicious lunch or dinner. We love the portability of these and think they’d be a great make-ahead meal as well.
What type of sweet potatoes are best for this recipe?
We choose small to medium sweet potatoes to minimize the time roasting in the oven. You can choose larger ones, but they will take longer to roast. Just make sure they are all about the same size, and as round as you can get to fit in more of the buffalo chicken stuffing.
Can you cook the sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot instead?
You could, but it will likely take you the same amount of time to roast in the oven between the time it takes to come up to pressure and the time it takes to naturally release. Put the sweet potatoes on a basket and add 1 cup of water. You can use the steam function for 10 minutes, with a natural release.
How can you store these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for meal prep?
If you wanted to make these for a few days of lunches, complete the recipe as directed and then cool the broiled sweet potatoes completely before placing in a container in the fridge. We like using glass containers because they can double as a storage container and can be heated up in either a microwave or a toaster oven. These would taste better if heated up in a toaster oven, but if the only option when you are at work is a microwave that will work as well!
If you like this recipe with buffalo sauce, check out these others:
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- 5 Ingredient Buffalo Chicken Baked Hummus Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees °F.
- Pierce sweet potato with a fork, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes, or until soft.
- While the sweet potato is baking, saute onions, carrots, garlic, and scallions for 2-3 minutes, or until the onions turn translucent. Add in spinach and cook just until the spinach starts to wilt. Remove from heat, let cool, and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add shredded chicken, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and pepper to the sauted vegetables and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Once sweet potatoes are soft, carefully cut sweet potatoes in half and scoop out insides to make “boats.” Leave about 1/4 – 1/2 inch of flesh so they don’t become too fragile and difficult to handle.
Set oven to a high broil.
- Fill the sweet potatoes with a heaping spoonful of shredded buffalo chicken. Top with cheddar cheese and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted. Serve hot!
Recipe updated March 2017