Savory oatmeal with breakfast sausage is a great start to the day, filled with fiber and protein and so delicious. It’s gluten-free, optionally dairy-free and a great make-ahead breakfast idea.
Savory Oatmeal with Breakfast Sausage
Oatmeal is often thought of as a sweet food. But have you ever thought of making it savory? We love this savory breakfast oatmeal made with breakfast sausage, cheddar and green onions. You can even put an egg on it, if you’d like! It’s prepared almost the same way as regular oatmeal, but with added savory flavor like red and green onions, extra salt and garlic powder. We use ground breakfast sausage (from our Butcherbox) but you can use chopped up fully cooked breakfast sausage (either pork or chicken) if you prefer.
What is Needed for this Breakfast Sausage Oatmeal?
- Water or Stock (veggie or chicken)
- Rolled Oats
- Garlic Powder
- Maple Syrup (it doesn’t taste sweet, it just helps balance the flavor)
- Ground Breakfast Sausage
- Red Onion
- Green Onion
- Cheddar Cheese (or nutritional yeast, for dairy-free)
- Cooked sunny side up or poached eggs (optional)
Are oats gluten free?
Oats are naturally gluten-free, but they can sometimes be processed in a facility where wheat products are also processed so there can be cross-contamination. If you are sensitive to gluten be sure to purchase oats that are labelled gluten-free!
How to Make Old Fashioned Rolled Oats?
We are recommend to make old fashioned rolled oats with two methods: stove top or instant pot! The stove top is the quickest method, and is included in the recipe below, with oatmeal ready in about 15 minutes. If this still feels like too much than you can make ahead of time and simply reheat it! The other method is in the instant pot which is the easiest method. It requires no stirring and you can accomplish other things while it’s cooking!
Check out this post for everything you need to know about cooking oatmeal, including how to cook it in the Instant Pot.
If you like this breakfast recipe, check out these others:
- Healthy Carrot Muffins (Gluten-Free and Nut-Free)
- Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats (Gluten-Free)
- Strawberry and Cream Overnight Oats (Gluten-Free & Vegan)
- Breakfast Fried Rice
- Sheet Pan Classic Breakfast Bake (Eggs, Bacon, & Home Fries!)
- 4 cups water or stock (veggie or chicken)
- 2 cups (old fashioned) rolled oats
- 1/2 red onion, diced very fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
- 3 green onions, sliced and divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- cooked sunny side up or poached eggs (optional)
- In a pot over medium heat bring water/stock to a boil.
- Add oats, red onion, salt and garlic powder, stir to combine and and lower the heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the oatmeal is creamy and tender. Stir in maple syrup, if using.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add oil and ground breakfast sausage. Cook until the sausage is brown. Remove sausage to a plate lined with paper towel (or a clean kitchen towel) and let excess fat drain.
- Divide oatmeal into 4 bowls and top with sausage, green onions, cheese and eggs, if desired. If cooking for meal prep do not add cheese until after it has be re-heated.
- Can omit cheese and add in 1 tablespoons of nutritional yeast into the oatmeal if looking for a "cheesy" taste.