- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Breading
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules/powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes optional
Pat the chicken dry and season generously with salt and pepper.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
In a shallow bowl or plate, whisk together the almond flour and seasonings.
Dredge the chicken in the egg mixture first, then into the breading mixture, coating on both sides completely.
Bake: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the chicken cutlets on. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden-brown and no pink remains, with an internal temperature of 165Fry: Heat avocado oil in a skillet. Once hot, add the chicken cutlets. Cook for 5-8 minutes on both sides until golden-brown and no pink remains (an internal temperature of 165ºF).
- Pat the chicken dry. Patting the chicken dry removes excess moisture for a crispier texture.
- Need more breading? You can always whip together a bit more, if needed!
- To slice or not to slice: Traditional chicken cutlets are thinner, horizontally sliced chicken breast halves. You can choose to slice or not to slice yours. I prefer not to for minimal prep, unless they are thick! You can also pound the chicken.
- If you do slice your chicken breasts, keep in mind that will affect the cooking time. Start with about half the time, then add more only as needed.
- Cook both sides. Whether you're baking or frying, it's essential that the chicken gets flipped so it gets crispy on all sides.
- If you're baking the chicken, be sure to line the pan with parchment paper so the chicken doesn't stick.
- If you're frying the chicken, make sure that the oil gets nice and hot before you add it in. If it's too cool, you'll end up with soggy chicken cutlets.
Serving: 1personCalories: 484kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 38gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 729mgPotassium: 456mgFiber: 7gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 110IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 153mgIron: 3mg