Loaded Kimchi Fries
Perfectly crispy oven baked fries topped with caramelized kimchi (seriously amazing), cilantro, cheddar cheese, onion, and a special spicy sauce makes for the ultimate vegetarian side-dish or appetizer. These Loaded Kimchi Fries will take your french fry game to the next level!
I often get asked where I get inspiration for my cooking. One of the best sources of inspiration is from traveling! Trying new cuisines, meeting the brilliant chefs behind the dishes, and exploring new flavor profiles and combinations are some of my favorite things to do!
I have been wanting to create this recipe ever since trying the Kimchi Fries at the Korean BBQ inspired food truck turned store front, Chi’lantro during my last trip to Austin, Texas! I couldn’t get over the complex and all-around amazing flavors going on and had to try making a version of my own.
I left out the meat to make these a fabulous meatless/vegetarian side, though they did serve them up with some pretty amazing chicken and pork!
Look at those crispy, crispy fries!
These will definitely be a staple for game-day entertaining and summer BBQ’s! Everyone will go nuts of these flavors, guaranteed.
Look at all of those toppings! A truly amazing flavor combination.
P.S. I recommend digging in with a fork!Print
Loaded Kimchi Fries
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- 2 medium russet potatoes, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Caramelized Kimchi:
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup kimchi, liquid squeezed out (see note)
- Spicy Mayonnaise:
- 1/4 cup organic mayonnaise, store-bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Everything Else:
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black and white sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced or diced
- Optional: Sprinkle Nori (dried seaweed) on top as a garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees °F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss potatoes in spices.
- Lay potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with additional spices if desired. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crispy. Toss every 15-20 minutes and make sure there is a good amount of space between each potato.
- Combine kimchi ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Heat a medium skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the kimchi to the pan and cook over high heat until the kimchi has browned, about 4-5 minutes. Take off heat, roughly chop and set aside until ready to assemble.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix Sriracha and mayo until well combined.
- Place baked fries in a desired serving dish. Top with cheese if using, onions, cilantro, caramelized kimchi, avocado, and sesame seeds. Drizzle with spicy mayo and serve!
We used Farmhouse Culture California Style Kimchi, but you can use any kimchi you like!
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Sodium: 520mg
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 37.7g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
May 22, 2017
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!