Growing up, Chicken Marsala was a staple in our house. My Mom made it often, and I never ever got sick of it! I am so excited finally share this cleaner and healthier version with you made with no white flour and made in ONE PAN. Serve it over gluten-free pasta or completely on its own!
I am so excited to partner with my friends at Pacific Foods to bring you today’s recipe. The Organic Chicken Broth is a staple in my pantry! It adds such a great flavor to sauces, soups, and even when cooking rice. I even use it in the slurry used to thicken this dish instead of water!
The flavors from the ‘breaded’ chicken, caramelized mushrooms, and Marsala reduction sauce make for a delicious take on this Italian-American classic! Paleo-friendly, gluten-free, and you only need ONE-PAN!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, more if needed
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 8 ounce container mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup dry marsala wine
- 1 cup Pacific Foods Chicken Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes, more to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place arrowroot flour in a wide shallow bowl and set aside. Place chicken in a plastic bag, and using the flat side of a meat pounder or a rolling pin, gently pound chicken to 1/4 inch thick.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in the arrowroot flour, shaking off the excess flour. Transfer to a plate. Make sure there is a good amount of space between each piece of chicken on the plate.
- In a skillet heat 2 tablespoons butter and add chicken to the skillet. Working in batches, cook until brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Add more butter between batches if necessary.
- In the skillet, add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have released their juices and browned. Should take about 8-12 minutes. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add more butter to the pan if needed.
- Add the masala wine and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, letting the alcohol burn out. Pour in the chicken broth, lemon juice, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and the slurry. Let cook down for 2-3 minutes.
- Place chicken back in the sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot over rice, pasta, or on its own!