This Cajun Blackened Fish is a simple and delicious weeknight dinner. This dramatic looking dish is actually simple to make, requiring just a few spices, a piece of fish and a hot pan! Serve it with your favorite summer side and you’ve got dinner in under 20 minutes!
Cajun Blackened Fish Recipe
While this Cajun Blackened Fish may sound complicated (blackening a fish? huh?) it’s actually dead-simple and SO DELICIOUS. And since fish cooks quickly, this dinner can be on the table in around 20 minutes! All it requires is mixing up a few spices to make a Cajun Seasoning blend, rubbing it on the fish and cooking it quickly in a hot pan to get a nice sear! Serve this dish up with your favorite seasonal side, preferably something simple to throw together (like this Corn and Avocado Salsa) and dinner is ready!
How to Blacken Fish
Blackening refers to a cooking technique of coating something in a spice blend and then quickly searing it off in a pan. The spices take on a nice toasty flavor and it has a dramatic finish to it with a crust! You want to cook the fish off quickly so that it forms that crust and so that it just toasts the spices instead of burning them.
What is in Cajun Seasoning
We’ve used Cajun Seasoning previously in our Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe, and we’re using that tried and true blend here for this classic Cajun dish. In our blend we use these spices:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- White pepper
What is the best type of fish to use with this recipe
We liked using this Cajun Seasoning with cod, but most any fish can work. Even some of the stronger flavored fish like salmon can work here because the cajun seasoning is bold enough to match it. Here are some options:
What to Serve with this Blackened Fish
Because this dish comes together so quickly it’s best to pair it with a simple side, preferably one that requires little cooking. Here are some options:
- Avocado and Corn Salsa
- Jicama Kale Salad with Orange Lime Vinaigrette
- Easy Cucumber Salad with Lots of Herbs!
It also works well with:
If you like this fish recipe, check out these others:
- Paleo Air-Fryer Fish Sticks
- Paleo Fish and Chips
- Mahi Mahi Tacos with Tropical Salsa
- Sheet Pan Cod with Vegetables in Lemon Herb Sauce
- In a small bowl mix together the cajun seasoning.
- On a plate rub spice mixture on evenly on both sides of fish fillets, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When hot, place fish in skillet and cook about 3-4 minutes on both sides until the flesh can easily be pierced without any resistance.
- Serve with avocado corn salsa or desired side.
- You can swap out the cod with most any other firm fish, even salmon!