I LOVE Italian dishes. I often make my favorite Italian dishes into healthy versions that I love to dig into, weekly. This meat sauce is delicious, always a hit and so versatile! Serve it over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, the options are endless! I often make a big batch to have for the week, and I never get sick of it!
Lexi's Meat Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large organic carrot stalks, chopped
- 1 lb. organic grass-fed beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 15 oz. can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can organic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, more for garnish
- Optional: Serve with fresh parmesan
- Optional: Garnish with fresh Basil
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, and peppers to saucepan. Let cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until onions are translucent and the carrots begin to soften.
- Add meat to saucepan and let cook until brown and no pink remains.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spices, and 1 tablespoon fresh basil to the pan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in zucchini noodles and red pepper flakes and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.