Homemade Meat Sauce
This quick and simple Homemade Meat Sauce recipe is an absolute staple! It is healthy, quick and always a hit! There are so many ways to use it, too! Serve it over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or make it classic by serving it over pasta! It’s quick enough to make on a weeknight but also works well as meal prep.
Homemade Meat Sauce Recipe
This easy Italian meat sauce recipe is my probably my all-time favorite pasta sauce recipe! It’s an easy homemade meat sauce recipe that is hearty and flavorful, and perfect for a weeknight meal. It’s versatile and customizable. Make it with ground turkey or ground beef, and then let it cook nice and slow! It’s gluten-free, Paleo-friendly, Whole30 compliant, and so yummy! Serve it over pasta, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash!
- Olive Oil
- Garlic + Onion + Carrots
- Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Canned Tomato Sauce
- Italian Seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes + Salt
- Fresh Basil
How to Make It
There is nothing complicated here! While we are all about letting a sauce simmer all day on the stove, this recipe focuses on making a quick and healthy meat sauce. To make it, start by:
- Heating the oil and cook the garlic. Then add in the onions and carrots and cook until they are softened.
- Add the meat to the pot and let it cook until no pink remains.
- Then add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spices, and fresh basil to the pan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes. The longer you can let simmer, the better, but 15 minutes will do just fine! Taste and adjust spices as desired and then remove from heat.
How to Serve It
Watch the video:
If you love meat sauce, try this spaghetti sauce in these recipes:
Homemade Meat Sauce
This quick and simple Homemade Meat Sauce recipe is an absolute staple! It is healthy, quick and always a hit! There are so many ways to use it, too! Serve it over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or make it classic by serving it over pasta! It's quick enough to make on a weeknight but also works well as meal prep.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or oil of choice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 large organic carrots, finely chopped
- 1 pound organic grass-fed beef or ground turkey
- 1 15 oz. can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can organic tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, more for garnish
- Optional: Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese
- Optional: Garnish with additional fresh Basil
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and carrots to saucepan. Let cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until onions are translucent and the carrots begin to soften.
- Add meat to saucepan and let cook until brown and no pink remains.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spices, and 1 tablespoon fresh basil to the pan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes. The longer you can let simmer, the better! Taste and adjust spices as desired then remove from heat.
- Serve over zucchini noodles, gluten-free pasta, or spaghetti squash.
April 18, 2018
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!