Mussels with Creamy Dijon Sauce
These Mussels with Creamy Dijon Sauce are creamy, flavorful, fresh, nutritious, and simple to prepare! They make for the ultimate appetizer or meal! Bonus: they are made totally dairy-free!
This post was written by me through an activation with HireInfluence on behalf of the Mussel Industry Council of Prince Edward Island. Although I received compensation for participating in the campaign, all thoughts and opinions are always my own.
I am so excited to partner with PEI Mussels today to bring you this tasty mussels recipe, that is quick and EASY to make! Seriously, you guys! No need to be intimidated to make mussels. I always order mussels when I see them on a menu, but never really make them at home. But they come together super quickly, and are affordable too! I’ll be serving these up as appetizers for dinner parties all Spring and Summer long!
Affordable, sustainable goodness!
Mussels with Creamy Dijon Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 pounds fresh PEI Mussels, cleaned, and checked to make sure all shells are whole and closed.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup leaks, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme + 1 teaspoon chopped
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup white wine
- Optional: Fried shallots*
- Optional: 1 link raw spicy chicken sausage, casing removed and cooked*
- In a colander, wash mussels well, place in a bowl, and let sit in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat garlic over medium-high heat.
- Add in leeks and garlic. Sauté until leeks turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for five minutes, or until the alcohol has cooked out.
- Over high heat, bring the sauce back to a boil. Add in cleaned mussels, stir, and cover. Give the pan a shake while covered and let steam for 2-3 minutes. Remove the lid and give the mussels a stir. If all of the mussels have opened, take the pan off of the heat and pour mussels and sauce into desired serving dish. Be generous with the sauce! If not all of the mussels have opened, cover and cook for an additional minute, or until opened.
Top with fried shallots and sausage if using. Serve warm!
To fry shallots: Slice shallots 1/4 inch thick. Heat 2 tablespoons frying oil of choice (we like to use avocado oil) in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil has come to frying temperature (365 degree F), add in shallots and let sit until they start to brown, about 1-2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove shallots from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
To cook sausage: Remove the casing. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add in sausage and use a spatula to break it apart. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until fully cooked and no pink remains.
Mussels cook by the steam of hot liquid. Boiling them in liquid ruins the texture. Make sure your pot or skillet is wide enough that your mussels are not immersed in the liquid.
- Calories: 559
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 1013mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 30.1g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
BONUS: To celebrate PEI mussels, one lucky person will win a TRIP FOR TWO to Prince Edward Island! To enter, you vote for your favorite recipe (hopefully it’s this one!) in the widget below. You can return and vote/enter each day! The content will end on 4/17/2017.
March 28, 2017
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!