This Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Chicken is comfort food turned easy weeknight dinner! This optionally dairy-free dish is so creamy and tastes just like spinach artichoke dip but with fresh healthy ingredients served for dinner! This dish is Paleo, Keto and Whole30 friendly and so delicious!
Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Chicken
Another easy weeknight dinner coming your way! And if you are a fan of spinach artichoke dip (but…who isn’t?) then you’re going to love this one. We took all the flavors of that classic dip and updated to create a healthy nutrient-dense dinner that is so creamy and delicious without any actual cream! Ok…we did include a note about how to use cream if you prefer to keep this nut-free. So you decide which version works better for you!
- chicken breast (or chicken tenders)
- chicken stock
- canned artichoke quarters
- cashew cream (see this post on how to make)
- nutritional yeast (optional, for dairy-free “cheesy” taste)
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
If you want to keep this nut-free and tolerate dairy substitute heavy cream for cashew cream and parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast. Either way, it’s going to be good!
Why do we use cashew cream in this recipe?
We love using cashew cream as a dairy-free alternative to make things CREAMY! Unlike coconut cream or coconut milk that can often leave a taste, cashew cream makes things instantly creamy, without any coconut taste! It’s totally dairy-free, and delicious. You can use it in savory or sweet dishes. But even without the health benefits, cashew cream is just totally delicious.
What to serve with Spinach and Artichoke Chicken:
There are so many options to serve this delicious dish with. Try:
If you like this simple weeknight chicken dinner, check out these other favorites:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken (Paleo & Keto)
- Chicken Parmesan
- Roasted Chicken Dinner
- Sheet Pan Curry Chicken and Vegetables
- 1-½ pound chicken breast, diced into 1” x 3” pieces (or chicken tenders)
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (if needed)
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15 ounce can artichoke quarters, drained and chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (see this post on how to make)
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, for dairy-free “cheesy” taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cup spinach
- Green onions, sliced thinly, for garnish
- For serving: cauliflower rice, pasta, rice, spaghetti squash
- Heat oil a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot cook chicken, in batches if necessary, and cook on each side until lightly browned and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil if the pan is dry. Add onion and garlic, and lower heat to medium low and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock, salt and pepper and artichokes and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and bring up to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in cashew cream and nutritional yeast until smooth.
- Add spinach, and return chicken to pan and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted and everything is combined. If your sauce is too thick, add a bit more chicken stock to thin it out.
- Serve immediately with either cauliflower rice, pasta, rice, spaghetti squash!
- Want to make this nut free and tolerate dairy? Make with heavy cream and ⅓ cup grated parmesan