This lightened up, healthier version of a Green Bean Casserole is sure to be a crowd pleaser this holiday season! It’s dairy-free, made without any soup mix, and EASY to make. It’s a fabulous and hearty holiday side dish topped with the most perfect crispy fried onions!
Healthier Green Bean Casserole (Dairy-Free)
I didn’t grow up with a green bean casserole during the holidays and now that I’ve had it (and a version that is cleaned up), I will absolutely be making it year after year!
This side dish is:
- Creamy, without any of the cream!
- Flavorful with aromatic veggies and herbs.
- Tender, cooked just right green beans in bite-size pieces.
- Topped with perfect crispy fried onions (no white flour here!)
How do you make french fried onions healthier?
- Use avocado oil instead of canola oil
- Use arrowroot flour instead of white flour
Try these other Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes:
- Cranberry Relish
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Gluten-Free Stuffing
- Roasted Veggies
- Cranberry Walnut Roasted Acorn Squash
Watch the video:
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or oil of choice for dairy-free
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- Optional: 4 strips bacon, cooked crispy and broken into pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat avocado oil until hot. While waiting for the oil to heat up, whisk the egg and arrowroot together in a medium mixing bowl. Working in batches, dip the onion into the egg/arrowroot mixture and then place into the hot oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until a dark brown. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil in an 8-quart saucepan. Add the green beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.*See notes for recipe steps if you would rather roast the green beans.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and coconut aminos and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cashew cream and mix well. Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook over low heat until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season green beans with salt and pepper. Add green beans to skillet with the sauce and mix until the green beans are well covered. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. *do not salt the green beans if you roasted them.
- Pour the green beans and sauce into the 9 x 9 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with crispy shallot and bacon. Bake for an addition 15-20 minutes, or until green beans are tender and bubbly.
- Serve warm!
*Cashew Cream: Soak 1/2 cup cashews in 2 cups of water for 4-6 hours or overnight. Drain soaked cashews and rinse well. Place in a high-speed blender with 1/2 cup water. Blend until creamy and thick. Add 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
**Roast the green beans instead of boiling them:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F. Lay the green beans on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Season with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil, or oil of choice. Toss well.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- While green beans bake make the sauce and the crispy onions in steps 2 and 4. Add the roasted green beans to the sauce, toss well and place in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Top with crispy onion and bacon. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly!
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!