Green Bean Casserole (Healthier & Dairy-Free)
This lightened up, healthier version of a Green Bean Casserole is sure to be a crowd pleaser this holiday season! It’s dairy-free, made without any soup mix, and EASY to make. It’s a fabulous and hearty holiday side dish topped with the most perfect crispy fried onions!
Healthier Green Bean Casserole (Dairy-Free)
I didn’t grow up with a green bean casserole during the holidays and now that I’ve had it (and a version that is cleaned up), I will absolutely be making it year after year!
This side dish is:
- Creamy, without any of the cream!
- Flavorful with aromatic veggies and herbs.
- Tender, cooked just right green beans in bite-size pieces.
- Topped with perfect crispy fried onions (no white flour here!)
How do you make french fried onions healthier?
- Use avocado oil instead of canola oil
- Use arrowroot flour instead of white flour
Try these other Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipes:
- Cranberry Relish
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Gluten-Free Stuffing
- Roasted Veggies
- Cranberry Walnut Roasted Acorn Squash
Watch the video:
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or oil of choice for dairy-free
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- Optional: 4 strips bacon, cooked crispy and broken into pieces
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 °F. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat avocado oil until hot. While waiting for the oil to heat up, whisk the egg and arrowroot together in a medium mixing bowl. Working in batches, dip the onion into the egg/arrowroot mixture and then place into the hot oil. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until a dark brown. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil in an 8-quart saucepan. Add the green beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.*See notes for recipe steps if you would rather roast the green beans.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and coconut aminos and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cashew cream and mix well. Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook over low heat until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season green beans with salt and pepper. Add green beans to skillet with the sauce and mix until the green beans are well covered. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. *do not salt the green beans if you roasted them.
- Pour the green beans and sauce into the 9 x 9 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with crispy shallot and bacon. Bake for an addition 15-20 minutes, or until green beans are tender and bubbly.
- Serve warm!
- See post: How to Make Cashew Cream
November 6, 2017
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!