This one-pot Creamy Potato Chowder with Shrimp and Bacon is the ultimate comfort food on a chilly evening! Paleo-friendly, loaded with veggies, and dairy-free (if you use the cashew cream option) for a completely guilt-free chowder option!
Here in New England, Chowder’s are our go-to bowl of comfort during chilly Summer and early Fall evenings! I wanted to create a chowder that was rich, creamy, guilt-free and great for any time of year, and am so excited to share this soup with you!
Look at that beauty!
If you love bacon as much as I do, this soup is a must-make! Creamy potatoes, perfectly cooked shrimp, and bits of bacon in every bite… soup perfection.
- 1 package nitrate-free bacon
- 1 pound deveined shrimp
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 yukon potatoes, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup good quality cream or 1/4 cup cashew cream *see notes for cashew cream recipe
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (non-GMO/local if possible), thawed and cooked
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon scallions, for garnish
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, around 5-8 minutes. Turn off heat and place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat out of the pan. Turn heat to medium-high and cook shrimp for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until pink and fully cooked through. Transfer shrimp to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drain all of the cooking liquid out of the pan.
- Place garlic and onion into the dutch oven. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until onions start to turn translucent. Add potato, celery, and carrots to the pot. Cook until potato starts to soften.
- Add in spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken stock and stir well, making sure to scrape up all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, turn down heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk in cream of choice. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve in desired serving bowls. Top with roughly chopped shrimp, bacon pieces, parsley, thyme, scallions, and corn if using.
- Serve warm!
*Cashew Cream: Soak 1/2 cup cashews in 2 cups of water for 4-6 hours or overnight. Drain soaked cashews and rinse well. Place in a high-speed blender with 1/2 cup water. Blend until creamy and thick. Add 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!