8 Reasons to Take a Staycation This Summer
It seems to me that far too many of us spend a lot of our lives just biding our time between vacations. I love a good getaway as much as the next person, but when we tie up so many of our hopes and dreams into these trips, we’re bound to be disappointed in what happens in between… and we’ll never be able to appreciate all of the amazing things we have going at home.
This summer, I’m on a mission to investigate and share the beauty of staycations, time off taken in our own homes instead of traveling elsewhere. Staycations can be a lot more practical than vacations, but that doesn’t mean they have to be lame. Here are eight reasons that staycationing is the way to go!
Here’s Why a Staycation Is Better Than a Vacation
Why staying home is cool.
1. Staycations are gentle on the budget. If there’s a major downside to taking a vacation, it’s gotta be the cost. As lovely as it is to get away, planning and going on a trip can cause a big hit to your bank account, especially if you travel with a larger family or a group of friends. If finances are what’s keeping you from vacationing, though, don’t give up hope that you’ll get to enjoy the benefits of a restful getaway! Taking a staycation is a great solution. You can take time off of work and other responsibilities and indulge in some R&R at a fraction of the cost by opting for this alternative. This may even extend the life of those vacation vibes, because you won’t have to come home to the stress of a big fat credit card bill!
2. You can keep your staycation going and going and going… It may not be feasible for you to take a full, consecutive week or two away from the office and other to-dos, even in the summertime — and that may be what’s kept you from cashing in on vacation time in the past. Look no further than a staycation to fix this! If you can take one day here and one day there throughout the summer, or even a series of long weekends, you can look at the sum of that time as a sort of rolling staycation! Map out your days off ahead of time and plan special staycation activities for each of them — at-home spa days, a special dinner with friends, a cool hike, a movie marathon — so that you know what you have to look forward to. As long as you’re not leaving your plans for those days to chance, you’ll maintain the vacation-y feelings, which you can keep going for weeks and months on end!
3. When you vacation at home, you can keep some elements of your routine. For some of us, one of the most fun parts about taking a vacation is getting a break from the norm, but I’m willing to bet that after a few days of enjoying the spontaneity of a trip, there’s at least some part of your routine that you’re going to miss… even if it’s just sleeping in your own bed. One of the best perks about taking a staycation is that it allows you to pick the parts of your routine that serve you, keep those, and throw out the rest temporarily! Ditch the alarm clock, but maintain your daily walks. Add a few extra treats to the mix for the length of the staycation, but keep to your usual water intake. It’s a lot easier to pick and choose like this when you’re vacationing in your own space!
4. Staycations give you a chance to explore your hometown. How often do you actually take the time to try new restaurants in your city, or to check out local zoos, museums, and walking trails? When we’re in the rush of everyday life, it’s all too easy to forget that these things even exist, and we definitely don’t prioritize going to them. All of that can change when you get a staycation on the calendar! Make a list of all of the places in your hometown that you’ve always wanted to visit, but have never made time for, and do a little extra research to see what options are out there and not even on your radar yet. Commit to paying a visit to each of these places during your staycation. By the end, you’ll have a brand new appreciation for where you live. You may never even want to leave again!
5. You can include lots of loved ones! The only thing better than having time off from the daily grind is having time off from the daily grind that also includes the people you care about most. Traveling doesn’t always allow for family and friends to tag along, but if you opt to stay close to home for a staycation, you create opportunities to welcome loved ones to join you! Ask locals to come along for individual events on your staycation, or make it a sleepover by inviting friends and family members who live a bit further away to stay in your guest room and be part of the fun! You can even invite different people to stay with you for different parts of the staycation! Can you get that on a vacation? I don’t think so!
6. You’ll likely feel more free to indulge. Since you’re saving lots of money on plane tickets and lodging, you may feel a bit more comfortable treating yourself to a meal at a nice local restaurant or picking up a few extra face masks for at-home luxuriating! If you’re anything like me, these extras might be the first things to go if you’re springing for a bigger vacation, so it’s kind of fun to switch things up by saving cash on big-ticket items so you can indulge in more of the little things!
7. Staycationing can be less stressful than vacationing. Yes, vacations can be relaxing… but they can also be stressful and exhausting. Between getting your itinerary organized, keeping track of your group at the airport, making sure that everyone is comfortable in the accommodations you booked, and tracking down food that the whole crew can agree on, you might just feel like you’d rather be getting some quiet time at home! Why not get that quiet time at home instead? I can hardly think of any potential stressors that might come your way as part of a staycation, which means you get most of the benefits of a getaway without any of the frustrations. Sign me up!
8. You’ll get down time while still dreaming up the bucket list trip. Stop waiting around to take time off from work and all of the other things on your to-do list. Stop making the excuse that you’re saving up time and money to take the big trip of your dreams! Thanks to the low expense and stress associated with a staycation, you can still get down time while putting money away for the ultimate bucket list destination at some point in the future. Why not enjoy yourself in the meantime? You deserve it!
Pin this for later:
July 5, 2019
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!