This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
So quick and flavorful, this Vegan Spicy Noodle Soup is an easy, weeknight dinner that will satisfy. Made with mushrooms and bok choy, this brothy soup is served with noodles for a comforting vegetarian meal with a little bit of a kick to it.
Spicy Mushroom Noodle Soup
If you’re looking for a weeknight dinner win, you’ve found it with this Spicy Mushroom Noodle Soup! I love how deeply flavor this soup is, made with wholesome ingredients, and in just about 30-ish minutes. It’s all about the punch of herbs at the end and that kick of heat with this soup, though it’s easy to dial back the heat if you need to.
This vegan soup is also gluten-free, dairy-free and Whole30 friendly, too!
What You Need to Make It
- Mushrooms (we used a “Gourmet Blend”)
- Baby Bok Choy
- Garlic + Ginger + Scallions
- Veggie Broth
- Coconut Aminos
- Rice Vinegar
- Chili Garlic Paste
- Sesame Oil
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder
- Herbs: Cilantro + Mint + Thai Basil or Italian basil
- Red Chili Peppers
- Noodles: Rice Noodles or Soba Noodles
What Type of Noodles To Use
We wanted to keep this gluten-free, so we like to serve this with rice noodles or soba noodles. If you are also gluten-free, be sure to check that the soba noodles you are buying are in fact gluten-free. Sometimes they can be made with wheat, along with buckwheat flour.
Some low carb alternatives for noodles would be to serve this with either spaghetti squash noodles or zucchini noodles! Just be sure to add zucchini noodles into the soup raw, and lightly cook them for 1 minute right before serving. Be careful not to overcook them.
How to Serve It
You can either add the noodles and the herbs directly into the pot, and serve it into bowls from there. Or you can individually add the noodles to bowls, pour the broth over the top, and then top with herbs, as desired. Serve with slice red chilis for some extra heat, or leave those out if you do not want it to be too spicy.
If you like this soup recipe, check out these others:
- Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup (Lightened-Up!)
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup (Vegan!)
- Healthy Broccoli Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup with Ginger and Turmeric
Vegan Spicy Noodle Soup
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 8 ounces cleaned and sliced mushrooms see note
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 scallions green and white parts divided and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder optional
- 2 baby bok choy cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup finely sliced cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup finely sliced mint leaves
- ¼ cup finely sliced Thai basil or Italian basil
- Fresh red chili peppers sliced thin, to taste (optional)
- 4 ounces rice noodles or soba noodles cooked
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in garlic, the white parts of scallions, ginger for 3 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, chili paste, sesame oil, and the five spice powder and bring to a boil.
- Drop in bok choy cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Add in cooked noodles, herbs and green parts of scallions, and sliced chili peppers to the soup. Taste and adjust seasoning. Adding more salt, rice vinegar or chili garlic paste, as needed.