This Slow Cooker French Onion Soup is comfort food at it’s finest. Packed with all of the french onion flavor you love and cooked just right, you’ll love this topped with my bread and cheese, or plain as a light onion soup!
It’s official, you are all loving Slow Cooker Sunday as much as I am! We started with Carne Asada, then moved onto Thai Curry Chicken. Both of which have been MAJOR hits with you lovely individuals! Don’t forget to keep on tagging me on Instagram when you make a dish!
I took a little poll on Snapchat earlier this week to see which recipe you guys wanted first. The choices were…
A. Pork Ragu
B. French Onion Soup
C. Short Rib Stew
It was pretty close between the French Onion and Short Rib Stew, but don’t you worry, you’ll have both of them!
You pile it allllllll in.
And then we’re going to cook those onions to perfection!
- 3 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 white onions, sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- 7 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- Optional: chili flakes
- Options: 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: 1 batch bread (see recipe here)
- Place butter and oil in the bottom of your slow cooker insert.
- Add in sliced onions, coconut sugar, garlic, balsamic vinegar, half the salt and pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Toss to coat and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, add in beef broth, fish sauce, arrowroot flour, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Let cook for the remaining 2 hours. Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs if using fresh thyme. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Divide the soup between oven-safe bowls. Top each with a slice (or two) of toasted bread and sprinkle cheese in a thick layer over the bread and up to the edge of the bowl. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Broil on high for 1 minute.
Loading nutrition data...
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!
MY LATEST VIDEOS