This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Our lightened up, dairy-free homemade cream of mushroom soup really is so easy to make and it’s a hearty and delicious vegetarian soup that everyone will love. It really takes a few simple ingredients that come together to make a hearty and flavorful, yet healthier cream of mushroom soup!
Healthy Mushroom Soup
Gone are the days of a can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. Once you make your own homemade healthier mushroom soup, you won’t go back to a can! Picture this: a creamy base with cooked-just-right pieces of mushrooms; flavored with herbs and fresh garlic, this soup goes well beyond just mushroom flavor! It’s SO delicious. P.S. If you love this healthier mushroom soup, you’ll love this Creamy Potato Chowder with Shrimp and Bacon.
What type of mushrooms are used in cream of mushroom soup?
You can use a combo! I like to! Or use one: Cremini, fresh brown, or baby portabella all work great.
How do you make mushroom soup without cream?
- As below in our directions, we love using our cashew cream recipe to make this mushroom soup creamy but dairy-free.
- Half and half works in place of cream, but it is slightly less thick!
- OR, omit cashew cream or cream altogether. It won’t be as creamy, but still delicious!
Be careful not to boil the soup once you’ve added your cashew cream (or regular cream)!
How to make this soup vegan:
Simple: use vegetable broth/stock & the cashew cream option!
Can I use red wine or does it have to be white wine?
I usually use a cheaper white wine, but you actually can use either!
- If using red: Pinor Noir, Marsala, or Merlot.
- If using white: Pinot Grigio or Sauvigon Blanc.
What about broth? Can I use any type of broth?
Yes! Use what you have on hand! Chicken or beef work well for. For a vegetarian option, use your favorite vegetable stock!
Wait, where do I buy cashew cream?
You actually make it. It’s quick! Here’s a quick version of how to make it, but for the full video, tips, recipe and guide, head to our cashew cream tutorial.
Make quick cashew cream:
- Simply soak raw unsalted cashews in water.
- Drain and blend with a bit of water until it’s reached your desired consistency.
- You may have to scrape down the sides of the blender basin a few times, but it works in both a standard cheap blender or a high-speed blender as well.
Other recipes using cashew cream:
Watch the video here:
Want other creamy soup recipes? Try these favorites:
- Split Pea Soup with Ham (Instant Pot or Stove Top)
- Broccoli Soup
- Easy Lobster Bisque
- Easy Black Bean Soup (VEGAN!)
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup (Lightened-Up!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions diced, about 1 ½ - 2 cups
- 2 packages 16 ounces mushrooms (see note), clean and sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup cashew cream or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Pinch red pepper flakes more as desired
- Optional: Additional Parsley for garnish
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and stir, then add in garlic and cook garlic until fragrant, for about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and half of thyme, cook for 5 minutes. Pour in wine and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, mix again and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium heat, season with salt, pepper, and garlic granules.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, while occasionally stirring, until thickened.
- Blend the soup in a blender or using an immersion blender. For a chunkier soup, blend ½ of the mushroom broth mixture until smooth and add it back into the pot, leaving 1/2 of the mushrooms still in the soup. For a silky smooth soup blend all of the mushroom broth mixture in a blender until smooth. It’s completely up to you!
- Reduce heat to low, stir in cashew cream or heavy cream. Allow to simmer but do not let it come to a boil. Adjust salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Mix in parsley and remaining thyme. Serve warm garnished with additional parsley and red pepper flakes.
- What type of mushrooms can you use: You can use a combo! I like to! Or use one: Cremini, fresh brown, or baby portabella all work great.
- Vegan: Use vegetable broth/stock and Cashew Cream!
Does it serve 2 or 6? I notice the nutrition is for 1/6th of the recipe.
This recipe is easy and very delicious. It has become a favorite in my home.
This is one of my favorites right now, vegan or otherwise. Even when I ate cream I never liked creamy soups because of the heaviness and consistency. This is super delicious and I now appreciate the wonder that is cashew cream.
Is it 2 lbs (32 oz in total) or 16 oz in total? looks delish!