How To Beat Dry Winter Skin!
Is anyone else feeling the impact from Winter? My skin has been exceptionally dry this year, so I thought I’d share what I’m doing this year to beat dry winter skin! Everything from skincare to sleep, and all things in between!
So, How do you get rid of dry skin on your face?
Upgrade Your Skincare Routine:
- Cleanse: In the winter months especially, I use a mild-yet-hydrating, non-foaming cleanser twice a day to cleanse my skin of dirt and make-up. Washing my skin twice a day has made a huge difference in my complexion. My daily cleanser is this one, and I bust out the big guns (not cheap, but a little goes a long way) when my skin is VERY dry. Also, when your skin is dry, use warm water over very hot water.
- Tone: Don’t skip the toner! It balances your pH levels. I love using this toner and this everything spray for a moisture bonus bomb on my skin!
- Exfoliate: I exfoliate 2-3 times a week normally, and 4 times a week in winter months. I don’t love the Beautycounter exfoliator as I personally like a heavy duty one. Here’s the scrub exfoliator I love (or grab it from Sephora)!
- Face Oils: I LIVE for face oils. I used to be afraid of putting oil on my acne-prone skin, but it is a total game changer. I switch off between the Balancing #3 oil and this Fancy Face Serum.
- Moisturize: When I am super dry, I’ll add a moisturizer on-top of my oils before bed! I’ll use my cleansing balm as a moisturizer or this night cream!
- Don’t forget your lips and eyes: The ultimate eye cream is this one. Don’t forget dry lips! This is my favorite lip balm, and you can get 10% off your Primally Pure order with code LEXI
- Bonus: Face masks to the rescue! My two favorite masks right now are: Charcoal Balancing Mask and these Brighten & Tighten Sheet Masks! I use a mask 2-3x a week and notice a huge difference in my skin!
How can I keep my skin hydrated during winter?
Add Moisture To Your Environment:
- Use a humidifier to add more moisture to your environment. I have my running in our bedroom at night. Here are two great options:
How can I hydrate myself?
- Drink more water: Bringing a reusable water bottle around with you! This is the #1 small thing I do to drink more water daily and it changed the game for me! When I don’t have mine with me, I drink much less! Tip: infuse your water with mint, lemon, or cucumber for added flavor and nutrients!
- What foods are good for your dry skin? Eat hydrating foods such as:
- Veggies (like cucumber, celery, cauliflower, spinach, lettuce, and carrots)
- Broths to sip on
- Green juices
- Fruits like watermelon and cantaloupe
- Fatty fish such as salmon and tuna contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids that are good for your skin
- Eat other sources of vitamin C, such as strawberries, broccoli, and spinach
- Healthy fats and oils, like avocado, nuts (rich in vitamin E), olive oil, and coconut oil
- Avoid dehydrating beverages/foods: Avoid drinks with artificial sweeteners, like sodas and fruit juices! Avoid the candy and chip aisles, and remember that alcohol and caffeine can dehydrate the body as well, so consume in moderation!
What About The Rest of Your Body:
- Dry brushing: Dry brushing takes all of 2 minutes and is a great way to enhance blood circulation and remove dead skin cells1 When done regularly, dry brushing is known to stimulate the lymphatic system (allowing the body to rid itself of toxic build-up), exfoliate the skin, remove dead skin cells and stimulate the growth of new ones! Simple rub your body with the dry brush before showering. Begin with your extremities and gently move towards the heart in upward, circular strokes. I use this dry brush.
- Exfoliate in the shower: I love this body scrub! It’s perfect for exfoliating and removing dead skin. I use it twice a week!
- Get a gentle, safe body wash: Let’s take a vow this year to stop putting toxic products on our biggest organ of our body, our skin! Grab a safer body wash. This is the body wash we absolutely love. My entire family uses it, men included!
- Moisturize right after the shower: I love the Primally Pure body oil in Lemongrass and Blue Tansy, and also love their body butter in Eucalyptus and Lavender or Almond + Vanilla.
- Moisturize your feet: If your feet get dry and crack like mine do, before bed, use your body butter on your feet and cover them with socks!
Get Enough Sleep:
Getting a full night’s sleep to help to restore the skin’s moisture balance, fight inflammation (a biggie during cold season), and stimulate collagen.
Exercise helps get your blood flowing! When your blood flow is boosted, nourishment is sent to skin cells, reestablishing a radiant complexion and minimizing the effects of inflammation.
I hope that was helpful! XOXO!
P.S. This post contains affiliate links to my FAVORITE products and ones I use daily. I only share products that I personally use and stand behind 100%. This adds no extra cost to you while shopping!
January 5, 2018
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!