Gluten-Free Cherry Pie Bars
These gluten-free cherry pie bars have all the deliciousness of a cherry pie without the time needed to actually making one! It uses nutrient-dense almond flour to make the crust and the crumble on top and is packed with fresh cherry flavor. These bars are gluten-free, dairy-free friendly, and the ultimate summer dessert!
Gluten-Free Cherry Pie Bars
There is nothing better than an awesome summer dessert that is easy-to-make and made healthier using simple wholesome ingredients. These gluten-free cherry pie bars are just so delicious and so quick to put together! The crust is made out of almond flour and the filling is jam-packed with cherries that are sweetened just the right amount.
We use the same mixture for the crust as well as the crumble topping, and precook the cherry filling on the stove top so that it’s just the right texture with minimal baking time!
Let’s talk cherries
We tested this with two different types of cherries: fresh sour cherries and frozen sweet cherries. They do result in slightly different flavors and textures but both are equally delicious. The fresh cherries are of course, a bit less sweet and have a firmer texture. The frozen cherries are sweeter and are a bit more juicy. The photographs shown in this article are the frozen sweet cherries and they have a darker color, but the video features fresh cherries. You can use whatever is available to you whether it be fresh or frozen cherries.
What you need to make these cherry pie bars:
- Almond flour
- Tapioca flour
- Coconut oil or butter
- Maple syrup
- Sea salt
- Cherries, fresh or frozen
- Maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
Here are the kitchen tools you need:
If you like this summer dessert, check out these others:
- Gluten-Free Key Lime Tart
- Homemade Jello (Healthy!)
- S’mores Pie (Gluten-Free)
- Strawberry Shortcake (Gluten Free & Paleo)
Watch the video:
Gluten Free Cherry Pie Bars
These gluten-free cherry pie bars have all the flavor of cherry pie without the time needed to actually making a pie! It uses almond flour to make the crust and the crumble topping and is jam-packed with fresh cherry flavor. These bars are gluten-free, grain-free, and the ultimate summer dessert!
For crumble crust and topping
- 3 cups (288g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (15g) tapioca flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For Cherry Filling
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line an 8x8 baking dish with a parchment paper sling.
- In a large bowl add almond flour, tapioca, coconut oil (or butter), maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt and mix well until it turns into large crumbles. Place ⅔ of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and press down evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile make cherry filling: in a medium saucepan add cherries, maple sugar, arrowroot and vanilla and mix well. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until filling becomes thick, about 5 minutes.
- Pour cherry mixture into parbaked crust and sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on top and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Do not substitute the maple syrup in the crust/topping with another sweetener, it will alter the recipe.
- You can substitute the maple sugar in the cherry mixture for coconut sugar if you wish.
- You can use frozen cherries here if you don't have fresh.
- Recipe and photos updated 5/16/19
June 9, 2019
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!