Looking for the perfect Huevos Rancheros? This classic Mexican breakfast is made with a hearty tomato sauce, homemade refried black beans, topped with the perfect fried egg, and all the fixings! Easy enough for a weekday breakfast and perfect for a festive weekend brunch!
I am so excited about today’s post. Huevos Rancheros are one of my all-time FAVORITE brunch recipes, and I’ve finally made my own! Use my Homemade Tortillas or my new favorite grain-free tortillas for the ultimate breakfast, brunch, lunch, or brinner- any day of the week.
Refried black beans.
Perfectly cooked eggs.
Avocado and ALL THE TOPPINGS!
A squeeze of lime and it’s time to eat!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14.5 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Optional: 1/4 dried chili pepper, finely chopped. Depending on the type of dried chili you use, it could be very spicy. Depending on how much you love spice use more or less. If you love spice and want to try more, hold off on adding chili powder until the last step.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can organic black beans
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 eggs, fried or cooked as desired
- 4 tortillas, store-bought (Siete Foods Tortillas) or homemade (see notes)
- 1 Scallion, sliced for garnish
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced for garnish
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- 1 Avocado, sliced into half moons for garnish
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges to serve with!
- Optional: 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Huevos Rancheros Sauce
Refried Black Beans
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion, peppers, and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant, or until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add in all spices, except for the dried chili if using, and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust spices as needed. If the sauce is too chunky, place in a high-speed blender and pulse. If using the optional dried chili, mix in after blending.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the refried beans. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in garlic and spices and let cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Drain the liquid from the beans and rinse well, then add the beans to the saucepan. Turn down heat and stir well. Add in lime juice and water. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Take off heat and mash well using a potato masher or fork. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Fry eggs, or cook them as desired and set aside.*
- In a large skillet, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add tortillas and cover the skillet. Heat until slightly browned on both sides, should take about 2-3 minutes. If using cheese, place 3 tablespoons of cheese on the tortillas once you have flipped them once and cover until the cheese has melted. Place the tortillas on a plate and set aside.
- Assemble: Spread huevos rancheros sauce on each tortilla. Add the refried black beans, scallions, cilantro, jalapeno, and top with an egg. Squeeze a little lime over the eggs and devour!
- *Check out how to cook eggs all different ways on page 66 of the Lexi's Clean Kitchen cookbook!
- *Homemade Tortilla Recipe
Check out these 4 other healthy and delicious Mexican recipes from my blogging girlfriends!
Lee from Fit Foodie Finds made you Easy Baked Chilaquiles with Avocado Crema
We’ve developed a fool-proof, super-simple baked chilaquiles recipe that’s packed with protein (thank you beans and eggs!) and Mexican flavor!
Lindsay from Cotter Crunch made you Mexican Avocado Egg Salad Collard Green Wraps
These Mexican avocado egg salad wraps make for a perfect low carb veggie packed lunch! Paleo Avocado Egg Salad seasoned with Mexican spices and jalapeno, then all wrapped up in collard greens! Whole 30 friendly.
Taylor from Food Faith Fitness made you Whole30 Mexican Shakshuka
This quick and easy, gluten-free Shakshuka recipe has a little, spicy Mexican twist! It’s a lower carb, healthy and whole30 compliant dinner or breakfast!
Brittany from Eating Bird Food made you Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
These sheet pan shrimp fajitas make for an easy weeknight meal with Mexican flavor. Simply bake your shrimp, peppers and onions together on one sheet, load up your tortillas and enjoy!
Gina from Running to the Kitchen made you Turkey Chili Pie
This turkey chili pie combines a healthy, leaner turkey chili recipe with a hearty gluten-free cornbread topping, all baked together in one skillet.
April 21, 2017
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!