This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Love nachos, but want to make them a bit healthier? These Nacho Sweet Potato Sliders are your answer. Slices of nutrient-dense sweet potatoes are baked, and then topped with all your favorite nacho toppings. These are a great fiber-rich and grain-free snack!
Loaded Sweet Potato Sliders
These Loaded Nacho Sweet Potato Sliders are the perfect snack or appetizer when you are craving comfort food but want to make it a bit healthier. This snack is a bit of a cross between a plate of nachos or a slider. They’re handheld, completely customizable and definitely will be loved by everyone.
What Sweet Potatoes to Buy
Look for large round sweet potatoes! These work best because you can get good slices out of them. Curved ones, or oddly shaped ones, aren’t great for this because you’ll waste more of the sweet potato when you’re slicing them up!
How to Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
Start out by scrubbing, washing and drying the sweet potatoes. Then cut off the tips since they are usually pretty small. Then, you’ll want to either use a knife or a mandolin to cut rounds of the sweet potato about 1/4″ thick.
Lay the rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet with room in between and either spray or brush avocado oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and bake in the preheated oven, for 5 minutes, and then flip and bake for another 5 minutes.
The sweet potatoes should be fully cooked through, meaning you can easily stick a fork through it, but not overcooked that it would fall apart when you picked it up. You want them to be just cooked enough!
Toppings for Sweet Potato Sliders
And here comes the fun part: choosing the toppings for your sliders! We went with a nacho theme, topping our sliders with shredded chicken, guacamole, salsa, beans and cheese. But truly the sky is the limit here!
You can go vegetarian, and skip the shredded meat. Or make it dairy-free, and instead top it with a vegan cheese sauce.
The full recipe below details how we made the ones pictured, but here are some ideas on how to top your sliders:
- shredded meat such as chicken, beef or pork
- taco meat
- diced tomato
Make it a Sweet Potato Slider Bar!
I love setting up all the toppings and making it a sweet potato slider bar! Set out the cooked sweet potatoes, and then lay out all the toppings for guests to choose their own toppings.
Watch the video here:
If you like this sweet potato recipe, check out these others:
- Bacon and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- How to Make Sweet Potato Toast
Nacho Sweet Potato Sliders
- 1 large about 8 ounces sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup homemade guacamole
- 1/4 cup homemade salsa
- 1/4 cup scallions sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken beef or pork
- ½ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 small tomato diced
- Cilantro sliced
- Preheat an oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub, wash and dry the sweet potato. Cut off the tips of the sweet potato.
- Using a knife (or alternatively a mandolin) slice the sweet potato into rounds about 1/4" thick.
- Lay on parchment paper with room in between and either spray or brush avocado oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then flip and back for an additional 5 minutes. The sweet potato should be fully cooked through, meaning you can easily stick a fork through it, but not overcooked that it would fall apart when you picked it up.
- Let cool briefly, and then place on a large serving platter.
- Top the roasted sweet potatoes with toppings of choice. Feel free to get creative and use some or all of the suggested toppings, or some of your own.
- Serve immediately.