This bean and sweet potato chili is perfect for meatless Mondays! This vegetarian chili is such a great set-it and forget-it dinner! Make or prep it in the morning and dinner can be ready when you arrive home.
Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
Browsing through my soups/stews page, all but one of my recipes in the category has meat in it. Now, we do eat a fair amount of good quality animal protein in this house, but we also eat a lot of veggies! I wanted to make a chili that has all my popular traditional chili flavors, but one that is meatless, packed with even more veggies, and a hint of Fall flavor!
The best part? This chili is so easy to make! Simply throw it all in your slow cooker overnight and have this perfect meal waiting for you when you wake up!
If you like this chili recipe, check out these others:
- Turkey Chili (Stove-Top or Instant Pot)
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup
- 30-Minute Taco Soup
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
To Make in Instant Pot:
- Using the saute function, heat the oil in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Add peppers, celery, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth, all spices and beans and stir together to combine. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes on top. Do not stir them in.
- Cover and set the steam valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes, and then release any remaining pressure.
- Open lid, stir together chili and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with desired garnishes.
To Make in Slow Cooker:
- Place all of the ingredients in a large slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with desired garnishes.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!