These light and fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits come together quickly and are made using a mix of almond flour and coconut flour. They can be made in under 30 minutes, and are perfect on their own or in any recipe that require biscuits!
Gluten Free Biscuit Recipe
These classic Gluten Free Biscuits are so beloved here at Lexi’s Clean Kitchen. We decided it was time to give them their own post dedicated to making this recipe successfully. While we are partial to eating these biscuits on their own, they are also equally great as a shortcake, a cobbler, on top of a soup or made with pumpkin!
- Almond flour
- Tapioca flour or arrowroot powder
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Fine sea salt
- Butter or Ghee
- Unsweetened applesauce
How the Recipe Has Evolved
This recipe was originally developed in 2014, evolving from a pumpkin biscuit recipe. They’ve been made by hundreds of LCK readers, and countless times in the LCK test kitchen and are tried and true. But in 2019, after we started regularly using a scale to measure our baking flours, we noticed that the biscuits were baking up flatter then usual. It was at this point we discovered how important it was to use a baking scale. But additionally, we discovered that more often than not, when we measure paleo flours in a standard cup measurement, we actually overmeasure it. Which means that when the recipe was developed, we were actually measuring out 1-1/4 cup of flour, instead of just 1 cup of flour. Because of this we have updated this classic recipe to note that if the flour is measured correctly you’ll actually need 1-1/4 cup almond flour (or 120 grams) instead of 1 cup (96 grams).
How to Make These Gluten Free Biscuits
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Rub the butter into the dry mix until it is completely combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the applesauce and the egg and add it to the flour mixture.
- Drop biscuits on a sheet tray and bake!
The biscuits are best eaten the day they are made, but you can store them for a few days in the refrigerator and they’ll reheat nicely in a toaster oven! The biscuits are more delicate when they are warm so give them a few minutes to cool after they are toasted up before handling.
Recipes Using these Biscuits
As this is such a classic LCK recipe, there are many recipes that use this biscuit dough. Check out:
- Healthy Berry Cobbler (Gluten-Free)
- Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake (with dairy free whipped cream)
- Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten Free)
- Pumpkin Biscuits
If you like this Classic LCK recipe, check out these others:
- ‘Everything Bagel’ Topped Cauliflower Rolls [VIDEO]
- The BEST Paleo Bread (5-Ingredients and One Bowl)
- How to Make a Lettuce Wrap Sandwich (Low Carb!)
- The BEST Paleo Pancakes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- Add the butter to the dry ingredients and using your hands rub the butter into the mix until it is completely combined, with no visible pieces of butter remaining.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the applesauce and the egg. Pour it into the butter and flour mixture and combine until a smooth dough forms.
- Scoop a scant 1/4 cup dough on prepared baking sheet at least 2" apart, repeat with remaining dough to make 6 biscuits. Bake until light golden, about 15 minutes.