Healthy Coconut Macaroons
These Healthy Coconut Macaroons are just like the classic but made gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar free! All you need is 6 ingredients to make them! Make them without or without a chocolate bottom.
Healthy Coconut Macaroons
Coconut macaroons are a Passover staple, especially in my household growing up. But aside from that, they are probably one of my favorite light cookies anytime of the year. Traditional macaroons are made with sweetened coconut flakes (which contain some really strange ingredients), plus sweetened condensed milk and egg whites. My version leaves out the unhealthy ingredients and swaps it with natural sweeteners and raw coconut flakes. These are sweetened just enough, so full of coconut flavor and did I mention they are super easy to make?
- Egg Whites
- Vanilla Extract + Almond Extract
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Fine Sea Salt
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
Sometimes egg whites can vary in size, as can the amount of liquid that the unsweetened shredded coconut absorbs. You could find that your mixture contains too much liquid to form into a ball, or that it is too dry and crumble. It should ideally thicken just enough to handle, after letting the mixture sit for 5 minutes. But if it doesn’t, here are some trouble shooting tips:
If too much liquid: add in 2 tablespoons more shredded coconut at a time.
If it is too crumbly: add in a tablespoon of whisked egg white at a time.
How to Form Coconut Macaroons
Growing up, we always grabbed these pointed macaroons from the neighborhood bakery. To make them, simply squeeze together the tops of the macaroons. The mixture should hold the shape nicely. I love that it adds a textural component because the tips get browned a bit more.
Alternatively, you can scoop the macaroons with a cookie scoop and bake as a rounded cookie.
Feel free to add in chocolate chips to the macaroons and / or dip the bottoms in melted chocolate. Or, if you are feeling like it’s all about that coconut flavor, skip the chocolate all together.
If you like this passover recipe, check out these others:
- Nanny’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Classic Chicken Soup (Slow Cooker & Instant Pot)
- Chocolate Matzo Crack: 3 Ways (Gluten-Free!)
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Traditional Charoset (for Passover!)
- Gluten-Free Matzo Lasagna
- Simple Brisket
Watch the video here:
Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons
These Healthy Coconut Macaroons are just like the classic but made gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar free! You need only 6 ingredients to make them, and can optionally put a chocolate bottom on them or keep them traditional.
Recipe Type: Cookie
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg whites and honey in a large bowl, until the mixture has started to turn white and frothy.
- Add in extracts, coconut and sea salt and mix until thoroughly combined. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes. It should thicken enough to easily handle the mixture. If it does not, add in 2 tablespoons more shredded coconut at a time. If it is too thick, add in a tablespoon of whisked egg white at a time.
- Fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide mixture into 12 balls, about 2 heaping tablespoons each. If desired, pinch the tops of the macaroons to create a cubed shape.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown at the top.
- Let cool completely.
- If desired, melt the remainder of the chocolate over a double-boiler or slowly in the microwave. Dip the bottom of the macaroon in the melted chocolate and let the excess drip off. Return to the parchment paper sheet until fully cooled.
- Store macaroons in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Let sit at room temperature, if desired, before consuming.
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!