Classic Chicken Soup (Slow Cooker & Instant Pot)
There is no better cure for anything than Chicken Soup. The chicken and broth warms the soup, and the vegetables brighten everything up. It’s a classic for a reason! Plus this Slow Cooker Chicken Soup is simple to make and easily freezes!
Classic Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
I am SO excited about this soup. Growing up in a Jewish home, chicken soup was a staple (and still is) for holidays and anytime someone started to come down with something. I’ve eaten A LOT of chicken soup in my day, and this is hands down my favorite. PLUS, it’s literally the easiest recipe to throw together. It has all the flavors of your classic chicken soup just like grandma used to make. Packed with tons of veggies and tender chicken, this classic comfort soup is perfect for anytime you need to warm yourself up on a chilly day.
Crockpot Chicken Soup Ingredients
- Whole Chicken
- Fresh Dill
- Salt and Pepper
- Bay Leaf
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
What I love most about this recipe is how simple is to make. Simply:
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the meat off of the chicken, and stir back into the soup.
- Serve hot, or cool down before storing in the refrigerator.
Want to make it faster in the Instant Pot?
- Place veggies in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Top with chicken, herbs, and spices.
- Add 6 cups water.
- Push ‘Soup’ and let cook for 30 minutes. Let slow release or use quick release.
- Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones.
- Adjust salt and pepper as desired.
- NOTE: For frozen chicken, cook for 40 minutes.
Should Noodles be Cooked before Adding to Soup?
While this recipe doesn’t specifically call for noodles, you could add them if you want. If you cook the noodles in the soup they will suck up most of the broth, so it’s best to cook noodles separately. However, it’s better to add the noodles directly to single hot bowl of soup instead of to the whole pot because the noodles will continue to suck up the liquid of the soup and become waterlogged.
If you like this soup recipe, check out these others:
If you like this slow cooker recipe, check out these others:
- Pork Carnitas (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker)
- How To Make Chicken Broth (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Slow Cooker Baked Potato Bar
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef (Paleo)
Watch the video:
Classic Chicken Soup
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 480
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 3-pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, more for salting the chicken and more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Place garlic, carrots, onion, and celery into the insert of your slow cooker.
- Pat chicken dry and season generously with sea salt, then add the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Add in the water, dill, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Set on low for 8 hours.
- Once done, discard the bay leaf and remove the chicken to shred. Discard the skin and bones.
- Place chicken back into the slow cooker. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- I buy pasture-raised chickens whenever possible.
- Serving Size: 6
October 16, 2016
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!