This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Honey Glazed Carrots are the perfect fuss-free side dish. They’re seared, steamed until tender, and coated in a sweet butter honey glaze.
These carrots are paleo-friendly, can easily be made dairy-free, and are a dish everyone will love.
Honey Glazed Carrots
When we were trying to figure out what to title this recipe, the name “Crack Carrots” was thrown in the mix a few times. Because these honey glazed carrots are seriously addictive. We couldn’t stop eating them!
Perfectly caramelized carrots coated in a buttery, sweet honey glaze? Does it get better than that? They are a great addition to a holiday feast, a special weekend dinner, or basically any meal at all.
Just 6 ingredients needed for this delicious glazed carrots recipe!
- Carrots – we used rainbow carrots for a pretty presentation, but regular orange carrots will work too!
- Oil – any cooking oil will work.
- Water – you need just a little bit of water to steam the carrots. Don’t do too much. We’re not boiling the carrots.
- Butter – or additional oil to make these glazed carrots dairy-free.
- Honey – maple syrup or brown sugar will work too.
- Flaky Sea Salt – large flakes of sea salt are the perfect garnish to round out the flavors.
How to Make Glazed Carrots
This recipe for glazed carrots is seriously so easy and comes together in just a few minutes!
- Sear: Heat oil in a large pan, then place carrots cut side down. Sear until caramelized, then shake the pan and sear for another 3 minutes.
- Steam: Add ½ cup water to the pan, cover, then cook for 7 minutes. Uncover, then cook again until the water has evaporated.
- Add butter, honey, and salt: Add butter and honey and stir until bubbling and the carrots are glazed. Season with salt, then serve.
Tips and Notes
- Cut evenly. Make sure the carrots are all sliced roughly ¼”-thick so they cook as evenly as possible.
- Slice on the bias. On the bias means cutting at a 45º angle. This isn’t totally necessary, but it does look nice.
- Use a big pan. At least 12 inches across is perfect. We need enough room so the carrots have space to sear.
- Sear twice. You’ll sear the carrots for 3 minutes, then give the pan a shake to redistribute them and sear for another 3 minutes. We want to make sure that they get nice and caramelized all over. Not just on one side.
- Be careful when you add water. The oil will be hot and there will likely be splatter.
- Add water as needed. If all the water evaporates before the carrots are cooked through, add a tablespoon more at a time until they’re cooked through.
- Swap the sweetener. Feel free to make maple glazed carrots or brown sugar glazed carrots instead.
These honey glazed carrots make an excellent holiday side dish, but can be served with any meal you like!
Enjoy them for the holidays with a Roast Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, or any of your favorite holiday recipes.
OR serve them alongside your favorite weeknight dinner: Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage, Meatloaf, Maple Glazed Baked Ham, Skillet Pork Chops with Apples and Onions, you name it.
Can You Make Glazed Carrots the Day Before?
If necessary, yes. Although, the fresher the better. If you’re able, I recommend serving them as soon as possible out of the pan.
A great way to prep ahead of time is to slice the carrots in advance. That way they’re ready to go when you want to cook them.
How to Store
Glazed carrots will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, warm on the stove with a little bit of oil or butter.
More Carrot Recipes to Try
- Healthy Carrot Muffins (Gluten-Free and Nut-Free)
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake (Easy Sheet Cake)
- Classic Chicken Soup (Slow Cooker & Instant Pot)
- Moroccan Chermoula Carrots
More Holiday Side Dishes You’ll Love
- Garlicky Blistered Green Beans
- Creamy Pumpkin Casserole
- Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Sliders
- Collard Greens with Bacon
- Healthy Creamed Spinach
Honey Glazed Carrots
- 2 pound carrots peeled and sliced on the bias about ¼” thick
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pan (at least 12 inches), over medium high heat.
- Once hot, place carrots cut side down and sear for 3 minutes, until the carrots start to caramelize. Give them a good shake and let them sear again for an additional 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir the pan.
- Carefully add 1/2 cup water and cover pan with tight fitting lid and cook for 7 minutes over medium heat. Uncover and reduce heat the medium low and continue to cook until the water has evaporate and the carrots are cooked though. If the water has reduced before the carrots have cooked, add a tablespoon more water at a time until they have cooked through.
- Once water has reduced, add butter (or dairy free oil) and honey and stir well and continue to cook until the carrots are glazed and the honey is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon large flaky sea salt.
We made this for Christmas and it was a delicious and quick recipe! Will definitely be making it again!
So happy it was a hit!
Made these at Christmas and again at Easter. They were a huge hit and so easy to make. Since they are made on the stove top it frees up the oven so they are perfect as a holiday side.
Excellent recipe!! We absolutely loved fixing them this way!! Thanks so much for this delicious recipe 🙂
Looks yummy! What do you think is the best way for this be reheated if I’m bringing it to someone’s house?
You can reheat in a sauté pan on low heat!
I will NEVER get tired of roasted veggies!