Everyone needs an amazing chocolate cupcakes recipe, and this one is ours! These Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes are moist with a deep chocolate flavor and simply delicious. They’re also dairy-free and made without any refined sweeteners. Grab a bowl and a whisk and head straight to the kitchen to whip some up!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
In my opinion, a chocolate cupcake should be at least three things: moist, rich and heavy on the chocolate flavor. These gluten free Chocolate Cupcakes check all those boxes and more! These simple-to-make cupcakes are a bit on the healthier side because they are dairy-free, made primarily with almond flour (hello nutrients!) and contain no added refined sugars. And the bonus is you only need two bowls and a whisk to make them! We have a few different options to frost them, including this dairy-free chocolate frosting. Whip them up for your next celebration or your next I-need-a-chocolate-cupcake kind of night!
- Almond Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Coconut flour
- Baking Powder and Soda
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Espresso Powder (optional)
- Coconut sugar
- Milk (We use almond)
- Avocado Oil
- Vanilla extract
We’ve made a few different frosting options over the years. This recipe uses a traditional chocolate buttercream, though it does use butter so it isn’t dairy-free. This recipe is for a vanilla buttercream.
If you need a dairy-free and paleo-friendly version, check out this recipe! It is a whipped chocolate ganache frosting that is simple to make. It’s also the version shown here in the photographs.
If you like this sweet treat, check out these others:
- Paleo Fudge (Nut-Free)
- Strawberry and Chocolate Ganache Sandwich Cookies
- Cookie Truffles
- Paleo Chocolate Ganche Strawberry Cups
- Raspberry Swirl Brownies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups (200 grams) almond flour
- ½ cup (48 grams) cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons (21 grams) coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (we use almond)
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- Whisk together almond flour, cocoa, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and espresso in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut sugar, milk, avocado oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk to combine completely.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes minutes, or until a toothpick inserted and removed is clean of any wet cake batter.
- Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with this paleo frosting, this chocolate buttercream frosting or this vanilla buttercream frosting.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!