These Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings are the perfect appetizer recipe for football Sunday or Super Bowl! They are crispy with frying, and are a great lightened up version of your classic fried buffalo chicken wings!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
You can’t have a Superbowl party without wings (in my opinion)! You can though, have them crispy and flavorful without being fried. I visited friends at the University of Buffalo years back. We, of course, got the famous Buffalo wings and as you can imagine they were fabulous.
In college I was a big fan of Wings over Amherst (these are not healthy). I definitely still think about those fried boneless wings (and the cajun cheese fries). Many of my friends ordered honey mustard, BBQ, garlic parmesan… me? Give me Buffalo any day of the week.
Can you bake chicken wings?
The tip I found years back that I love (and successfully tried with my Sweet Potato Chili Fries), is placing a wire rack on the baking sheet. Gets everything nice and crisp!
Can you use chicken legs or chicken thighs?
Yes! Just adjust cooking time and sauce amount as needed.
Like this wing recipe? Try these:
Watch the video:
Want more football recipes? Try these:
- Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- Buffalo Chicken Baked Hummus Dip
- Roasted Poblano and Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Carne Asada
Easy chicken wing recipe
- 2-3 pounds chicken wings, more as desired
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoongarlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, grass-fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's Original Hot Sauce)
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- Optional: for additional heat add 1 teaspoon or more cayenne pepper to sauce
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with slipat or parchment paper and place a wire rack on top.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel, and then coat the chicken wings in oil, salt, and garlic powder.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, flip wings after 30 minutes, and cook for a remaining 10-15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, bring hot sauce and butter to a boil then remove from heat and stir.
- Remove wings from oven and toss them in the sauce.
- Once coated, place back on the rack and bake for an additional 5 minutes (save extra sauce).
- Remove wings from oven, coat with extra sauce.
- Serve hot with dippings of choice, like carrots, celery, and the ranch dressing in my cookbook.
- For fully dairy-free sub butter for your favorite vegan butter or oil of choice.
- Have time to a marinate? Though not needed for this recipe? Marinate overnight in the sauce, and make additional sauce for tossing!
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!