This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Crispy, saucy and so delicious, these Baked Buffalo Wings are the perfect appetizer recipe for game day or for just about any day! I’m sharing all my tips for making crispy wings in the oven!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
Bring on all the buffalo recipes, because I can never get enough. Between my Buffalo Chicken Meatballs, Crispy Buffalo Chicken Bites, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, and so many more, it’s no surprise we’re big fans of buffalo anything. Today I’m bringing an oldie up from the archives with these Oven Baked Buffalo Wings so more of you can find this fan-favorite recipe. Buffalo Wings are a classic appetizer for game day, or you can make it a meal by serving it with a few sides.
How to Get Wings Crispy in the Oven?
I have two tips for getting really crispy wings. The first is to pat these wings dry as best as you can with paper towels. The goal here is to get rid of any excess moisture.
The second tip I found a few years back and it’s changed the way I make oven-baked wings: baking them on a wire rack! Because the air circulates around the wings, and any excess moisture drips off, it allows them to get nice and crispy all over. It’s a game-changer!
- Chicken Wings
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Hot Sauce (I recommend Frank’s Original Hot Sauce)
- Butter, Ghee or Coconut Oil
- Cayenne (optional, for extra heat)
What Type of Buffalo Sauce to Use?
Easy answer: make it yourself! It’s super simple with a minimum of two ingredients. It’s just hot sauce and butter (or ghee or coconut oil for dairy-free). I recommend Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. To make it, you simply heat the two ingredients together in a saucepan until the butter is melted. Whisk it together and there you have it: homemade buffalo sauce.
What to Serve With Buffalo Wings
There is a reason cut up veggies are served with buffalo wings, so no need to re-invent the wheel. Cut-up celery, carrots, and cucumbers are great to serve with baked buffalo wings because it helps neutralize the heat and strong taste of buffalo wings BETWEEN bites, allowing you to enjoy your next bite all the more!
And of course, you have to serve buffalo wings with a nice cooling dip too! You can go the bleu cheese route or the ranch route. I have a homemade ranch dressing recipe located in this Sheet Pan Ranch Chicken and Vegetables. Or you can buy store-bought!
Watch the video:
If you like this buffalo recipe, check out these others:
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken Tenders
Baked Buffalo Wings
For Baked Wings:
- 2-3 pounds chicken wings
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
For Buffalo Sauce:
- 1/2 cup hot sauce I use Frank's Original Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne totally optional, for extra heat
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel, and then coat the chicken wings in oil, salt, and garlic powder.
- Bake wings for 30 minutes, flip them over, and then cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the wings are crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the buffalo sauce: Heat hot sauce and butter together in a small pot. Once butter is melted, whisk together.
- Carefully add cooked wings and 3/4 of the buffalo sauce to a large bowl. Toss together.
- Transfer the wings back to the baking rack and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove wings from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle the remaining sauce on top of the wings, or set aside for dipping. Serve wings warm with dipping sauce of choice, and cut up veggies.