9 Tips for Healthier Summer Travel
It’s vacation season! You deserve the chance to get away and enjoy yourself, whether on a family trip, a getaway with friends, or a romantic weekend with that special someone. It’s time for you to relax, disconnect, and have fun. But who says that going on vacation has to take you away from your healthy habits? There’s no reason we can’t still focus on looking and feeling our best when we’re on the go. Here are nine healthy travel tips to help you do just that.
9 Healthy Travel Tips
Getting away doesn’t have to mean getting off-track.
1. Load up on your vitamins. Yes, part of the appeal of traveling is the chance to get out of the day-to-day routine. But this break from the norm may not be so great for your health. Spending time in airports, sitting on the plane, and visiting new (often public) places can be a drag to your immune system. Minimize your chances of getting sick by taking Vitamin C regularly in the days before you leave. Be sure to pack it in your suitcase so you can take it while you’re on your trip, too! Nothing can ruin a vacation — or the transition that comes with settling back into your home after a vacation — like getting sick, so let’s avoid it at all costs!
2. Choose water. You may be tempted to ditch your typical water intake and go for soda and fruit juice while you’re on vaca, but it’s best to resist the urge! Staying on track with plenty of water can be an easy wellness win, no matter where you are. Be sure to bring a reusable water bottle with you so you can throw it in your tote or beach bag throughout your adventures.
3. Do your research. If you have access to the Internet, you have access to plenty of information about the restaurants and resorts available at your destination — even before you arrive! Put together an itinerary that includes spots that are the right fit for the trip you’re taking and the people you’re taking it with. Does the menu include items that address any dietary concerns? Is it kid-friendly? Dog-friendly? Does it seem to have the right vibe? All of this info is so easily accessible to you before you go.
4. Eat breakfast every day. I know you want to jump right into the day’s activities so you can make the most out of every moment of your vacation, but trust me when I tell you that all of it can wait until after you’ve made the time to eat a balanced breakfast. Fuel up with plenty of protein and high-quality fats so you have maximum energy to enjoy yourself. Do I really need to remind you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day?
5. Get a good night’s sleep. The only thing you can do to make your day the best it can be before the day even starts is to get plenty of rest! Making time for a full night’s sleep is important every day of the year, but it’s especially crucial when your body is worn down from travel and out of its usual routine. And since you’re on vacation, you might as well sleep in!
6. Make time to exercise. Your primary goal in taking a getaway may be to get some extra R&R, but that doesn’t mean vacation is an excuse to stop moving your body. Plan time to get to the hotel gym or plan out a walk, hike, or bike ride that will give you a chance to explore the area. When you prioritize exercise, you stay on track with your wellness goals… and you’ll feel like you really earned that R&R.
7. Shut off from the Internet. Taking some time away from your screens is going to be really good for your mental health — and your mental health totally deserves a little attention when you’re on vacation. Set some real boundaries with the Internet and social media by leaving your devices in your room when you’re out enjoying the day and by committing to shutting them off after a certain hour so you can focus on being with loved ones.
8. Order smart (within reason) while ordering out. As soon as you get out of town, you’re going to be overwhelmed with new and different foods, many of which may not fit into your typical wellness regimen. Don’t stress! It’s okay to indulge more than you normally would when you’re traveling — just don’t forget to listen to your body. Protein and veggies are pretty much always a safe bet, so load up on those with a more splurge-y option. And if you’re not feeling your best, try to curb your sugar and salt intake. You’ll be back to enjoying the vacation in no time!
9. Live a little! Clearly, I don’t think it’s a good idea to totally ditch your health and wellness routines simply because you’re on vacation… but I also don’t think you should hold back from enjoying yourself! Find some special treats and indulge, whether that means splurging on a spa treatment, indulging in a dessert here or there, or sipping on an afternoon cocktail. Don’t beat yourself up! Focus on moderation and have some fun!
June 18, 2019
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!