This vegan smoothie packed with fiber loaded fruits and vegetables is just what you want for breakfast! Our make-ahead high fiber smoothie freezer pack is super quick to put together, and in bulk if you want, and whizz up in a blender right before you head out the door. It’s naturally gluten-free and totally the cool breakfast you want to grab on your way out the door.
High Fiber Smoothie
We are on week 3 of our Make-Ahead Freezer Smoothie Pack series! You all know I believe that food can play a big part in not only keeping the body healthy, but also healing the body, so we are doing a series of 4 nutritionally-minded smoothie packs that target specific health benefits! At the end we’ll do a round up and a bonus 30 Budget-Friendly Smoothies guide!
Today we’re going to talk about why it’s important to consume foods that are rich in fiber and what foods are the best to do this.
Why is Eating Fiber Important
It’s easy to overlook fiber as an important part of a well-rounded diet but it is an essential one! Some of the benefits of a fiber-rich diet: it helps slows the absorption of sugar in our blood stream and keeps glucose levels low, it helps keep our digestive system healthy and regular, and it can lower cholesterol and prevent heart disease and it helps us feel full longer.
What Foods are High in Fiber
Being gluten-free, I have to be conscious of including fiber-rich foods in my diet because taking wheat out of a diet also takes out an easy source of fiber. Fresh fruits and vegetables are a great source such such as berries, broccoli, whole potatoes, artichokes and apples.
Some of the high fiber whole foods we are including in our smoothie are blueberries, cauliflower, apples, spinach and flax seeds! We also include lemon here to keep the apple from browning, make sure to squeeze the juice on it.
Do Smoothies Take Away Fiber?
No! Blended fruit doesn’t loose fiber because you’re still using the whole fruit! It is juiced fruit that looses the fiber.
Stay tuned for the rest of the make-ahead smoothie freezer pack series:
- Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie Freezer Pack
- Antioxidant Smoothie Freezer Pack
- Fiber Smoothie Freezer Pack
- Detox Smoothie Freezer Pack
- 30 Budget-Friendly Smoothie Freezer Packs
Items we love for smoothie packs:
- 1 cup (5 ounces) blueberries
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 apple peeled, diced
- 1 heaping teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (see note)
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional)
To Make Freezer Packs:
- Toss apple with lemon juice to prevent browning. Place all ingredients except almond milk into a freezer safe bag. Freeze until ready to use, up to 1 month.
- Combine all ingredients, including almond milk in a high speed blender.
- Blend until creamy, adding additional liquid if necessary.
- You can substitute fresh fruit, but we find it easier to buy prepped frozen fruit for these smoothies
- You can substitute 1/2 cup greek yogurt for an equal portion of the almond milk, to make for a creamier smoothie.
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!