This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Charred, juicy and so delicious, these grilled Chimichurri Chicken Thighs make for the perfect dinner! Boneless chicken thighs are marinated in chimichurri, grilled up and served with another spoonful of that bright green sauce. This recipe is a summertime-must that is gluten-free, paleo and Whole30-friendly. Made in partnership with my friends at Star Market®.
Chimichurri Grilled Chicken
With summer in full swing, it’s time to get out into the backyard and grill up these delicious Chimichurri Chicken Thighs. Perfectly marinated chicken is grilled up and served with a pungent fresh herb green sauce. It’s honestly one of the best things to come off my grill this summer. And the sauce is absolutely addicting.
Making Shopping Easier with Star Market®!
I am so excited to partner with Star Market® to bring you today’s recipe. As a busy mom, I’m always excited when I can find shortcuts in getting meals on the table. The Star Market® Deals & Delivery app along with Star Market for U™ Member program is an easy, all-in-one app that lets me shop, save and earn Rewards all in one place – and I love it! I make my list beforehand and it’s so easy to check things off my list! Plus, I can access personalized deals and digital coupons, earn points and redeem Rewards, receive a free item every month, and even receive a treat on my birthday!
It’s this simple to grab all your ingredients:
- Download the Star Market® Deals and Delivery app (or visit StarMarket.com/foru for more info.)
- Sign up to become a free Star Market® for U™ Member
- Start saving and earning Points
- To use the app, use your registered phone number or scan your in-app Member Card at checkout in-store!
A quick grocery shop made easy, then you’ll be rewarded with a dinner on the table in no time, and meal prepped chicken for days!
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a fresh sauce primarily made from minced herbs, olive oil and a touch of red wine vinegar. It isn’t a pureed sauce, such as Italian pesto, but instead a sauce made from finely minced ingredients. It has roots in Argentina and Uruguay and is traditionally used as an ingredient in cooking and as a condiment, much like how we are using the chimichurri in this recipe. This pungent sauce really enhances meet, and is delicious on veggies too. While we are making a green version, there is also a red version of chimichurri as well.
Here is an overview of the ingredient list. Keep scrolling for the full recipe.
- O Organics® Fresh Parsley
- O Organics® Fresh Oregano
- Garlic Cloves
- Serrano Chili Pepper (optional)
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
Tips for Grilling Chicken
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes! That infusion of flavor will really permeate the meat, and it will taste better and be juicier (thanks to the salt and vinegar inside of the chimichurri).
- Prep your grill: Make sure your grill is preheated and that the grates are clean! You want to make sure the grill has come up to the proper temperature. Cleaning the grates will ensure your chicken doesn’t stick. Right before you cook you can rub a little oil on your grates as well!
- Cook over indirect heat: While you want your grill to be preheated you do not want to cook over direct flame. Cooking over indirect flame will ensure the chicken doesn’t burn before it is cooked through inside.
- Cover your grill! Covering your grill will make sure the grill stays hot and that your food cooks quicker.
- Use a thermometer! Sure there are plenty of other tricks to figure out if your chicken is properly cooked, but the most fool proof is to use an instant read thermometer. You want it to read 165º in the thickest part of the chicken.
Can this be Made Without a Grill?
Yes! While we love the charred smoky taste of the grill, this chimichurri chicken would still be perfectly acceptable on a grill pan inside of even if you need to, in a regular skillet! Do what works for you, either way these chicken thighs will be delicious topped with fresh chimichurri.
Can I Use Other Types of Chicken?
Yes! We love boneless chicken thighs, but this chimichurri recipe also works really well on bone-in chicken thighs, drumsticks, and chicken breasts too! The cook time will need to be adjusted slightly if you choose a different type of chicken!
What to Serve with Chimichurri Chicken
This dish is bright and savory, and will work well with so many sides. Our favorite way to serve up this chicken is with grilled veggies! It only makes sense since you are already grilling up the chicken to throw on a bunch of summertime veggies with it. Plus the chimichurri tastes amazing on grilled vegetables. And here are some other recipes here on the site that will work so well with this dish:
- My Favorite Chopped Greek Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
- How to Make the Best Rice Ever (Stove Top and Instant Pot)
- Easy Homemade Caesar Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Avocado and Corn Salsa
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob with Southern Spicy Butter
If you like this grill recipe, check out these others:
- Loaded Grilled Eggplant with Creamy Herb Sauce
- Garlic and Lime Marinated Flank Steak
- Grilled Salmon and Shrimp Scampi
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Grilled Pork Chops with Peach Salsa
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken
- 1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves see note, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 small shallot finely minced
- 1 small serrano chili optional, seeds removed and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs see note
- Add parsley, oregano, garlic, shallow, serrano pepper, vinegar, salt and pepper to a small bowl stir together. Drizzle in the olive oil while stirring. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding in more salt or vinegar as desired.
- Add chicken thighs to a bowl or plastic bag, and pour in half of the chimichurri. Let marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- When hot add chicken and let cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through.
- Let chicken sit for 5 minutes. Serve warm with additional chimichurri and a side of choice.
- If you can’t find fresh oregano, you can substitute 2 teaspoons dried.
- The chimichurri also works really well on bone-in chicken thighs too! They’ll just need to be cooked longer on the grill.
Download the Star Market® Deals and Delivery app and unlock unlimited possibilities for saving time on grocery lists, coupons, and more with Star Market for U™ Member program! Or, visit StarMarket.com/foru for more info. New Star Market for U™ Members can snag a welcome offer of $5 off your $25 or more purchase!
Made in partnership with Star Market®! All opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support us!
Made this tonight for dinner. Had to substitute jalopeno pepper for the Serrano as they are not available where I live. The chicken was absolutely delicious and juicy. Served it with brown rice and salad. Will definitely be making this again especially at the cottage when we have company. Easy and delicious. Thank you for this recipe.