This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Hearty, warm and inviting, this Instant Pot Lentil Soup is the absolute perfect winter meal. This vegetarian soup is flavored with tomatoes, fresh herbs and a hint of spice that make this soup not only feel-good-food but just plain delicious. It’s made easily in the Instant Pot (or in your Slow Cooker) for a hands-off meal destined to make whoever it is served so happy.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup
When the weather is chilly outside, and your body just needs to feel warmed from the inside out, this Lentil Soup is JUST what you need. This hearty soup is packed with lentils, veggies, fresh herbs and spices. It has a deep flavor but is pretty simple to make, especially since we’re using the Instant Pot! But don’t worry, we’ve included instructions for the slow cooker as well. This vegan soup is pure comfort food in a bowl.
- Lentils (Green or Brown)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Coconut Aminos (this is optional but nice because it adds depth of flavor)
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Veggie Broth
- Fresh Thyme
- Bay Leaves
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How to Make Lentil Soup in the Instant Pot
We love being able to make this in the Instant Pot! It truly makes this an easy one pot meal that you don’t have to worry about checking on!
Instant Pot Directions:
- Cook the onion, carrots, celery using the saute mode until very softened.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and coconut aminos and toast for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes, lentils, broth. Tie the thyme sprigs and bay leaves together with kitchen twine (so they can easily be removed later) then add to the Instant Pot.
- Cover and set the steam valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the timer has gone off, allow the pressure to release for 15 minutes, and then release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and remove thyme and bay leaf. If desired, puree 1 cup of the soup to create a thicker texture. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Slow Cooker Instructions
Don’t have an Instant Pot? This works well in the slow cooker as well!
- Create an herb bundle by tying up the fresh herb with butchers twine so it can easily be removed from the soup.
- Place the herb bundle and all ingredients except the apple cider vinegar inside a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or until the lentils are tender.
- Puree 1 cup of the soup to create a thicker texture, if desired. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
If you like this soup recipe, check out these others:
- Turkey Wild Rice Soup
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup (Vegan)
- Lasagna Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Classic Chicken Soup (Slow Cooker and Instant Pot)
Watch the video:
INSTANT POT LENTIL SOUP
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos optional, adds depth of flavor
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1-½ cups green or brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Using the saute function on a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot, heat the oil. Add onion, carrots, celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until very softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and coconut aminos and toast for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes, lentils, broth. Tie the thyme sprigs and bay leaves together with kitchen twine and add to the Instant Pot.
- Cover and set the steam valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, allow the pressure to release for 15 minutes, and then release any remaining pressure.
- Open lid, remove thyme and bay leaf. If desired, puree 1 cup of the soup to create a thicker texture. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- See body of the post for slow cooker directions.
We love this soup! Any tips on doubling it or will it work just to double the ingredients and set the same time to cook?
This soup is delicious! So flavorful, yet so easy to make. I made the instant pot version. Thank you, Lexi! Have a great Thanksgiving.
You had me at 5 minute prep. Delicious ?
I’ve made a few different lentil soup recipes in my life and this one is so much faster and fool proof, comes out perfectly!
Great flavor and texture, especially with an immersion blender- I used the attachment on my hand mixer and it worked great. Thanks so much!
This looks amazing and pretty easy! Thanks for your posts!
This looks delicious; easy to make too! Thanks for sharing.
Just made this soup today. I love it. Delicious and filling, a perfect combination.
Are this nutritional facts correct for this soup? I dropped the ingredients in MyFitnessPal to log and I got 390 calories for 4 servings (1/4 of the recipe) not 90. The lentils alone have 1140 calories.