These Mocha Fudge Muffins are a decadent, yet healthy way to start a day! These paleo muffins are rich and chocolate-y and give you just the right amount of coffee buzz to get your day going. They are a gluten-free treat you can feel good about eating with no white flour and no refined sugar and with packed healthy fats! Make these for the holidays, a weekend brunch or for a more delicious weekday morning and you won’t be disappointed.
Mocha Fudge Muffins
These muffins have the perfect texture. I love using almond flour as the base for my muffin recipes because they make the best gluten-free muffins without needing to add a lot of other fussy ingredients. Adding the cocoa powder to these combines to create a fluffy and light muffin that is still able to hold up the fudge filling. Plus, they’re a breeze to make!
If you like this chocolate muffin recipe, check out these others:
- Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Double Chocolate Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: almond flour, baking soda, espresso powder, cocoa powder, and sea salt
- In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients: eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until fully combined.
- Make the fudge by heating chocolate using preferred method (see note) and add in tablespoon of coconut milk and whisk to combine.
- Fill the lined muffin tins 2/3 of the way up and drop in 1 teaspoon of the fudge.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick removes cleanly.
We like to melt chocolate using a double boiler. Here is how you do that:
- Add 1” of water to a medium saucepan or pot and bring to a very gentle simmer.
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot so that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Add the chopped chocolate to the bowl and stir occasionally with a spatula until smooth and melted.
What is your all-time favorite muffin flavor?
use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out! Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!