Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
Thinly sliced steak is sautéed up along with peppers, mushrooms and onions and covered in melty cheese to make for the best Philly Cheesesteak Skillet! It’s an easy dinner for any night of the week. This low-carb meal can be eaten as is, or bulked up and served alongside rice.
Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
This skillet dinner is pure comfort food! This fuss-free recipe calls for quickly cooking up all your favorite cheesesteak ingredients in a skillet and serving it it up for dinner. While we all know and love a cheesesteak sandwich, this is a lower carb way of serving up all those same flavors. This dinner is light on the cooking, but heavy on the flavor. This family favorite can be served as, or if you’d like to bulk it up, you can serve it with white rice or cauliflower rice.
- Steak (Top Sirloin, Ribeye or Skirt Steak)
- Bell Peppers
- Salt + Pepper + Garlic Powder
- Provolone Cheese (or Mozzarella)
Tips for Slicing Steak
This recipe calls for a whole steak, instead of shaved steak. It can be tricky to slice it thinly but we have a simple trick:
Place the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes and then slice the steak against the grain as thinly as possible. You want it to be chilled enough that it slices without squishing, but not frozen so that it’s difficult to cut.
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
Start by searing the thinly sliced steak on both sides. Make sure you get some good caramelization on it for flavor. Next, remove the steak from the skillet and add in the mushrooms. Cook until all the moisture has evaporated from them.
Next add in peppers, onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and water. At this point you want to scrap up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and let cook for 6-8 minutes until the vegetables are starting to soften and the water has evaporated.
Add back in the steak and cook until heated through, and then add in the cheese. Cook until melty and delicious.
How to Serve
This can very happily be served just as is! That will make it a low-carb meal. To bulk it up a bit more, you can add cauliflower rice.
Alternatively it can be serve with white rice as well.
Or if you’re feeling traditional, stick it in a toasty baguette or soft roll!
Watch the video here:
If you like this one pan dinner, check out these others:
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Dinner
Thinly sliced steak is sautéed up along with peppers, mushrooms and onions and covered in melty cheese to make for the best Philly Cheesesteak Skillet! It's an easy dinner for any night of the week. This low-carb meal can be eaten as is, or bulked up and served alongside rice.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the steak and sear on both sides. Remove the steak and turn down the heat to medium.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until all the moisture has evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- Add in peppers, onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and water. Scrap up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and let cook for 6-8 minutes until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add back in the steak and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Top the mixture with cheese and cover and cook until melted.
- Serve immediately as is or with white rice or cauliflower rice.
- If you cannot find top sirloin, skirt steak and rib eye will also work.
- Pro-tip for slicing the steak: Place the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes and then slice the steak against the grain as thinly as possible.
April 29, 2020
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!