This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This One Pan Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice is an easy and delicious chicken dinner that comes together in a pinch. It’s so tasty and packed with all of the protein, carbs, veggies, and healthy fats you want in a well-rounded meal.
Easy One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
This one pot chicken and rice recipe is a go-to for me…and I’m sure will be one for you too! It’s easy to prepare and packed with flavor and made with simple and easily accessible ingredients.
This salsa verde chicken is light enough for a spring or summer meal, but also hearty enough to satisfy those fall and water cravings.
So, you can throw it into your dinner rotation all year round! It’s a meal the whole family will love.
- Oil: I use avocado oil, but feel free to use whatever neutral flavored oil you have on hand.
- Aromatics: We’re creating a flavor base with sautéed onion and garlic.
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs diced into bite-sized pieces.
- Cauliflower: You’ll need about 2 cups of cauliflower, cut into florets. Chop your own or save time and grab a bag of pre-chopped cauliflower florets at the store.
- Seasonings: cumin, sea salt, ground black pepper
- Rice: Use long grain white rice.
- Salsa Verde: Whatever salsa verde you love! Mild, medium, or hot will work. Feel free to use store-bought salsa or whip up a batch of homemade roasted tomatillo salsa verde.
- Chicken Broth: Use a good quality chicken broth for the best flavor.
- Cilantro: For garnish!
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice
This delicious chicken and rice recipe is made with simple, easy-to-find ingredients and is ready in a total of 30 minutes!
- Sauté the aromatics and chicken: In a sauté pan, heat oil, then add in onion and garlic. Cook until translucent, then push to the side and add another tablespoon of oil. Add in the chicken, then cook until browned on both sides.
- Add seasonings, cauliflower, broth, and salsa: Once the chicken is sufficiently seared, add in the cumin, salt, pepper, rice, and cauliflower. Stir to combine, then pour in the chicken stock and salsa.
- Cook: Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with a lid, then lower the heat to medium-low. Let everything cook for 20 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Can You Cook Rice in the Same Pan As Chicken?
Yes! We’re searing the chicken first, then adding in the rice and broth and letting everything cook together.
The rice comes out perfectly soft and fluffy and the chicken comes out tender and juicy. Fewer dishes for the win!
How Healthy is Chicken and Rice?
This salsa verde chicken and rice is a super nutritious and well-rounded meal. We’ve got carbs from the rice, lean protein from the chicken, and, of course, a veggie thanks to the cauliflower.
A complete meal all in one pot!
Tips and Notes
- Use long grain white rice. This recipe is designed for this particular variety of rice
- Rinse the rice. Rinsing the rice before cooking removes excess starch, which helps the rice grains stay separate as they cook.
- Check the temp. To ensure that your chicken is done cooking, use a meat thermometer to verify that the internal temperature is at least 165ºF.
This one pan chicken and rice dish is…well…a one pan meal. So no need to serve it with anything at all! However, if you do want to bulk your meal up a little bit more, here are a few ideas:
What Rice to Use
I recommend white rice for this recipe! The key to a one pan meal is to use ingredients that will all be done cooking at the same time! Brown rice in particular takes much longer to cook than white rice, so the timing of everything won’t line up properly. Definitely stick to white rice for the best results in regards to timing, etc.!
How to Store
Leftover chicken and rice will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To enjoy again, thaw overnight in the fridge if frozen, then warm on low on the stove until everything is heated through.
More One-Pan Dinners You’ll Love
- One Pan Indian Spiced Chicken and Cauliflower
- One Pan Moroccan Fish
- One Pan Shrimp and Green Beans in Chinese Garlic Sauce
- One Pan Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
- One Pan Eggplant Chicken Dinner
- One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken and Rice
One Pan Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 medium cauliflower cut into florets (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup Stonewall Kitchen Salsa Verde
- 1 1/2 cup good quality chicken broth
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat a medium heavy bottomed high-sided pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil and onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Push onion and garlic to the side and add 1 tablespoons of oil. Once hot, add chicken and cook until beginning to brown 5-7 minutes.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper, rice and cauliflower. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock and salsa and scrap up any browned bits.
- Let mixture come up to a boil, then cover with a tight fitting lid, and lower the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!