Pistachio Mint Pesto
This bright Pistachio Mint Pesto is a unique twist on the classic to use up all of that abundant summer mint! It’s made with pistachio, mint and dill and is so bright and refreshing. It’s perfect for grilled meat or veggies and comes together quickly to add a nice punch of flavor to any dish!
Fresh Mint Pesto Recipe
A well made pesto is like a flavor bomb. Adding this Mint Pesto to any dish will brighten it and elevate the flavor! This nuanced pesto is made with fresh mint leaves, dill, green onions, pistachios and lemon! The truth is you can make pesto out of just about anything, and while most people think of pesto with basil, this mint pesto is just as delicious. You can pair it with nearly anything, but it’s great with grilled meats, veggies, chicken and as a spread on a cheese board.
Ingredients for Pistachio Mint Pesto
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Dill sprigs
- Green Onions
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Salt and Pepper
How to Wash Fresh Mint
Mint can often be very gritty and dirty. To properly wash mint you should:
- Pick all the mint leaves off the stem
- Fill a big bowl with cool water
- Submerge the mint leaves and swoosh them around.
- Let them sit for a minute so that the dirt drops to the bottom.
- Pick up the mint leaves as gently as possible, so as to not disturb the dirt, and place in a colander.
- Empty out the water, rinse the bowl and repeat the process until no dirt is left behind in the bowl.
- If desired you can run the mint leaves in a salad spinner to dry them off.
How to Prevent Pesto from Turning Brown
Pesto turns brown when the fresh herbs oxidize by coming into prolonged contact with oxygen. It isn’t harmful to eat brown pesto, but it can have an off taste and it looks unpleasant. To prevent browning you can float some olive oil over the top of pesto in the container. Make sure to cover the pesto entirely. This creates an airtight seal and will prevent the pesto from turning brown immediately.
Ways to Use Pistachio Mint Pesto
This bright pesto would be great with so many dishes! It is great with chicken, turkey or even pork. This would be a nice addition with lamb in springtime as well! You can use pesto in pasta dishes, rice dishes, in a salad, as a dip or spread and served over a grilled meat or veggies.
Check out these recipes that use pesto:
- Caprese Pesto Pasta Salad
- Sheet Pan Salmon with Sage Pesto and Root Vegetables
- Creamy Pesto Chicken “Pasta”
- Crock-Pot Pesto Chicken Salad
If you like this mint recipe, check out these others:
Pistachio Mint Pesto
This bright Pistachio Mint Pesto is a unique twist on the classic to use up all of that abundant summer mint! It's made with pistachio, mint and dill and is so bright and refreshing. It's perfect for grilled meat or veggies and comes together quickly to add a nice punch of flavor to any dish!
- Add all of the ingredients except the olive oil to a food processor or a high speed blender. Pulse until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. If needed you can add in a tablespoon of hot water as needed to make a smooth pesto. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Use immediately or store for up to 1 week in a tightly sealed container.
- If storing for more than a day, to prevent browning float some olive oil over the top of the pesto to create an airtight seal.
August 21, 2019
Join The Discussion
Want to know the secret to perfectly cut brownies or bars We’re showing you How to Make a Parchment Paper
Nothing says “summer” quite like going to the beach — whether you’re packing up the family for a week in
Subscribe to Lexis Clean Living
Join our email list to get instant updates and weekly summaries of our top content and special exclusive offers along with our free clean eating kickstart guide!
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!