This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Rocky Road Baked Oats are the perfect two serving lightened-up dessert. Oats and cocoa powder are blended up with a few other healthy ingredients and then baked up with chocolate, mini marshmallows and nuts for that classic rocky road feel.
Rocky Road Chocolate Baked Oats
We are all about recipes using oats, and after a viral Tiktok trend a few months ago, we’ve been on the baked oats bandwagon too! Last month we welcomed these Carrot Cake Baked Oats recipe into our baked oats family, and we’re as equally as excited about these Rocky Road Baked Oats! These chocolate baked oats are definitely geared towards a dessert, as they have mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. But if you want to serve them for breakfast, you do you!
What are Baked Oats?
What makes this baked oat recipe different from some of our others oat recipes is that you take whole oats and blend them with a few other ingredients until the mixture is smooth. A few ingredients are added in (and in this case, rocky road ingredients) and then baked up. What results is a healthy cake that is perfect for dessert! Our recipe makes enough for two (or one person with a very big sweet tooth) and it’s pretty simple to prepare.
Ingredients for Rocky Road Baked Oats
While the original viral TikTok baked oats recipe called for a banana, we wanted to take a different approach to the chocolate baked oats recipe. Plus, we know that a lot of our readers have banana allergies, so our version instead uses applesauce to give the oats some moisture and a bit of sweetness. Here is an overview of the ingredients we use in this recipe (the full recipe and amounts are listed below in the recipe):
- Old-Fashioned Oats or Quick Oats (make sure to grab gluten-free certified oats if you have a gluten allergy)
- Unsweetened Smooth Apple Sauce
- Milk (feel free to use whatever milk you typically buy)
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Maple Syrup
- Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chopped Nuts
Can You Make this Without the Egg?
Yes! We tested this with a flax egg, made from 1 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 2 tablespoons almond milk. The baked oatmeal came out virtually the same.
What to Use to Blend the Oats
This recipe makes enough for two servings, which means it’s a small batter. If your blender has a large basin, it might have trouble blending it together unless you have a tamper. However, a high-speed blender (I love my Vitamix!) with a tamper should handle it just fine.
How to Make Baked Oats
Making these baked oats is really simple. To make them:
- Add the baked oats ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the ingredients to make the baked oats rocky road style.
- Grease an 8-10 ounce ramekin and pour in the batter.
- Bake until the chocolate oats have puffed up and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Can You Make it in a Microwave?
We haven’t tested making it in a microwave. But if you wanted to try, we’d suggest trying it for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes. Just be sure to use a microwave-safe container.
Can You Double the Recipe?
Yes, you can double or triple the recipe and bake it in a larger container. You can double or triple all of the ingredients, except the baking soda. For a double or triple batch, use just 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking soda.
How to Customize It
You can get quite creative with this recipe if you leave out the rocky road flavors and swap in some others that you have on hand! You could add fruit, other chocolate, different nuts and so many other combinations of ingredients to make baked oats. Feel free to play around and get creative with it!
How to Store Baked Oats
If you have any leftovers, the baked oats will keep covered at room temperature for about 3 days. You can eat it at room temperature or briefly heat it back up.
Watch the video here:
If you like this baked oat recipe, check out these other oat recipes:
- PB+J Baked Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter, Banana, Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- Gluten Free Apple Oat Muffins
- How To Make The BEST Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Carrot Cake Baked Oats
Rocky Road Baked Oats
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup smooth apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk-of-choice
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup rolled oat oats
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ⅓ cup chopped chocolate
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts walnuts or pecans work well here
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease two 8-10 ounce oven-safe ramekins.
- Add maple syrup, apple sauce, milk, egg, oats, cocoa powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt to a blender, in that order. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate, mini marshmallows and nuts until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the greased ramekins and top with additional marshmallows, chocolate and pecans on top, if desired.
- Bake on the center rack until the baked oats have puffed up and started to pull away from the edge of the ramekin and toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.