This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Southwest Chicken Soup is made easy in the Instant Pot with chicken, beans, corn and tomatoes. It is simple to make and can optionally be prepared ahead of time and stored in the freezer. It’s as easy as placing all the ingredients in a freezer bag and stashing it away until you are in need of a quick weeknight. Simply defrost in the refrigerator overnight and place everything in an Instant Pot to cook at dinnertime! Made in partnership with my friends at Farmer Focus!
Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup
This Southwest Chicken Soup is pure comfort food in a bowl. Southwest inspired flavors like chicken, tomatoes, corn and lime are mixed together in an easy to make soup. What makes this even more special is that you can prepare batches of this ahead of time and place in the freezer for the next time you need an easy dinner! Don’t care to meal prep this soup? No problem! Just place everything in your Instant Pot pressure cooker fresh and dinner is ready in just about 20 minutes.
Serve this soup with ALL the garnishes like crushed up tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, cilantro, lime wedges or pickled jalapeños.
How to Make a Dump Freezer Dinner
So let’s talk a little bit about the concept of a “dump” dinner, because we’ve been loving these types of meals lately and we plan to continue to share more of them in the future.
A dump dinner is recipe that doesn’t really require too many steps in terms of preparation before it is cooked. Typically you just gather the ingredients, with minimal chopping, and dump them into the cooking equipment. Typically this is either a slow cooker, a stock pot or an Instant Pot. A Dump and Start meal refers to a meal that you just gather the ingredients, dump them in your pot and start cooking. A Freezer Dump Dinner is a meal that is gathered ahead of time and frozen in a bag. When you want to cook it, you defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then dump the meal in the cooking vessel when ready to cook!
For this recipe, it will work either way. Gather all off the ingredients for the Southwest Chicken Soup and either prepare one (or more) batches ahead of time and freeze, or gather up all the ingredients and cook immediately in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
Why We’re All About Good Quality Chicken
I am so happy to partner again with my friends at Farmer Focus to bring you today’s easy Instant Pot chicken recipe! Farmer Focus has been my go-to, trusted chicken for years now, because they pride themselves in producing the highest quality meat grown on family-owned farms. I love being able to grab up a package of Farmer Focus chicken at the grocery store and not having to question whether it is truly coming from meat raised in a humane way.
Farmer Focus is building partnerships with growers through their innovative Farmer Focus Business Model
Farmer Focus is a company that supports their farmer partners and that is working hard to do things right and truly raise and produce the highest quality chicken! Every Farmer Focus product includes a 4-letter farm I.D. that traces your chicken to the farm that raised it. Buying meat from Farmer Focus also gives me peace of mind that I am supporting hard working family farmers.
Farmer Focus chickens are humanely raised and fed a diet free from animal byproducts, pesticides, and antibiotics. On their website you can see where all of the farms are located, so you know just where your chicken was raised! How awesome is that?!
You can also use their easy store locator to find where you can get this amazing quality chicken near you.
If you like this chicken recipe, check out these others:
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Artichokes and Asparagus
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken (Paleo & Keto)
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Ultimate Fried Chicken (Gluten-Free)
If you like this Instant Pot Recipe, check out these others:
- How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- Pork Carnitas (Instant Pot and Slow Cooker)
- Instant Pot Balsamic Chicken
Watch the video here:
Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup
- 2 lb. Farmer Focus boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Crushed Tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Pickled Jalapeno
- If preparing ahead and placing in the freezer: Gather your ingredients and place everything in a gallon sized freezer bag and seal tightly. Storage flat in the freezer. To defrost, place in the refrigerator the night before.
- To cook: Combine all of the ingredients in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Set the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes with a natural release of at least 10 minutes (see note). Once opened, shred the chicken with two forks.
- Garnish as desired with crushed tortillas, shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado or pickled jalapeno and serve!
This post is sponsored by Farmer Focus! All thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own! I love the integrity of their products and think you’ll love them too. Thank you for continuing to support LCK and the brands I work with!