20-Minute Tequila Lime Shrimp
This Tequila Lime Shrimp is packed with flavor, easy to make, and is a perfect way to serve shrimp! It’s ready in under 15 minutes and is budget-friendly, gluten-free, low-carb and paleo friendly!
Quick and Easy Tequila Shrimp
This Tequila Shrimp recipe is one of those dishes that can be whipped up pretty quickly when you don’t have much else on hand.
If you are like me, you’ll likely have some frozen shrimp hanging out in your freezer that can be defrosted quickly and the whole thing cooked up from start to finish in about 20 minutes. Serve this shrimp recipe with your favorite side dish, I love this over rice or rice noodles, but see more serving ideas below!
Tequila Lime Shrimp Ingredients
Here’s a list of what you need. Scroll for the full recipe.
- Butter or oil
- Garlic cloves
- Yellow onion
- Raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- Clear tequila
- Fresh cilantro
Frozen Shrimp Versus Fresh Shrimp
I buy both! Actually, like many things, unless you know you are getting fresh-off-the-boat shrimp, frozen shrimp is a great buy! I always have shrimp in my freezer.
What shrimp do you buy?
Personally I buy wild-caught MSC-certified shrimp!
How can you defrost frozen shrimp quickly?
Place the frozen shrimp in a bowl with cold water for about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under water for a minute and the shrimp will be ready to go!
Does the alcohol cook out of the dish?
Yes, in general when a recipe calls for cooking with alcohol, the alcohol evaporates, or burns off, during the cooking process!
How do I Know If My Shrimp Is Done?
You’ll want your shrimp to turn completely opaque to be done! Typically, shrimp take around 2-3 minutes to cook completely. Jumbo shrimp could take 4-6 minutes.
What Can I Serve It With?
Tequila shrimp is versatile and you can serve it with so many different sides:
- Cauliflower rice
- The Best Rice Ever (Stove Top or Instant Pot)
- Spaghetti Squash
- In tortillas
- Spiraled Zucchini Noodles
- Pasta of choice
- Rice Noodles
- Over Leafy Greens
If You Like This Shrimp Recipe, Try These Others:
- One-Pan Shrimp and Green Beans in Chinese Garlic Sauce
- Easy Shrimp Curry
- Spicy Shrimp and Citrus Salad
- Tropical Mango Shrimp Ceviche
- Spicy Shrimp and Citrus Salad
Watch the video:
Tequila Lime Shrimp
This Tequila Lime Shrimp is packed with flavor, easy to make, and is the absolute perfect shrimp dish. Reading in under 15 minutes, it’s budget friendly, gluten-free, low-carb and paleo friendly!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: gluten-free, low-carb, dairy-free, paleo
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, (15–20 shrimp)
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 cup clear tequila
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large skillet heat butter over medium heat. Once hot and garlic and onions for 2-3 minutes until flagrant, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Increase heat to medium high and add in the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Let cook for 2 minutes until they start to turn pink, turning the shrimp as needed.
- Add in the tequila, lime juice, and cilantro and let cook until shrimp is opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 792mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 37.8g
- Cholesterol: 274mg
September 5, 2021
This website may at times receive a small affiliate commission for products that we shared with you in our posts. Although we may receive a commission for linking certain products, there’s no additional costs to you and all of our opinion and suggestions are 100% our own and unbiased. That’s our promise to you!
Subscribe to get our FREE clean eating guide!
Join our email list TODAY to start recieving our newsletter weekly, access to exclusive content and deals, *and* a FREE complete 24-page clean eating guide!