Happy Friday, all! We are changing gears this week for Healthy Food Friday with American Express. Pumpkin recipes out, hearty cold-weather holiday food in! All Fall and Winter long, my Dutch ovens stay out and a soup is constantly cooking. This infographic will help you build the perfect soup!
1. Choose a fat: Grass-fed butter, olive oil, avocado oil.
2. Choose a base (1 or 2): chicken stock, beef stock, vegetable stock, tomato puree, pureed veggies, cream, dairy-free milk.
3. Choose your meat: chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, steak, fish.
4. Choose your veggies: onion, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spinach, kale, green beans, zucchini, etc.
5. Choose your spices: start with salt and pepper, then go with a flavor combination that works for your soup!
Example: for chili use cumin, chili powder, celery seed, granulated garlic, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Heat your fat with your aromatic veggies (like garlic and onion).
Sauté for 3-5 minutes then add in your meat and cook until brown (remove any meat bones if you have)
Add in additional veggies and let cook for 5-10 minutes, or until fork-tender. Add softer veggies towards the end, like spinach.
Add in your base(s) and then in your spices and mix well to combine.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer.
Add cream if you want a cream soup. Transfer to a high-speed blender if you want a fully pureed soup.
Garnish and enjoy!
*Certain aspects will vary based on the soup you decide to create.
Choose a meat that complements your base (E.G. chicken with chicken stock).
Consider adding two bases: chicken stock and diced tomatoes, pureed tomatoes and cream, etc.
Use whatever veggies you have on hand, but go in with an end game for the type of soup you want to create!
To avoid over spicing, taste and adjust spices as you go!