This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette is the perfect side dish for BBQs, potlucks, you name it. It’s made with grilled-to-perfection sweet potato slices, aromatic grilled red onion, fresh herbs, and a sweet, tangy dressing.
Easy Potato Salad with Grilled Sweet Potatoes
This Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette is seriously the best way to spice up your sweet potatoes.
In my opinion, grilling may be the absolute best way to cook sweet potatoes. They get so incredibly tender in the middle but the hot grill caramelizes the outside just enough to give them that delicious crispy texture.
And if that weren’t good enough, this salad combines them with sweet and tangy grilled onion, fresh herbs, an insanely flavorful dressing, and optional feta, black beans, and bacon.
Serve this salad as a simple summer side dish or as a light lunch!
Okay, this sweet potato salad recipe might look like a lot, but it’s really just a few basic ingredients. And it comes together so quickly! Here’s what you’ll need:
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes: sliced or cut into wedges.
- Oil: I use olive oil, but other cooking oils will work.
- Seasonings: I keep it simple with a little sea salt and black pepper.
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Garlic: no need to mince the garlic. You’ll blend it up!
- Oil: olive oil acts as the base of the dressing and softens the tanginess of the apple cider vinegar.
- Dijon Mustard: gives the dressing a kick of spice.
- Honey: rounds out the spicy, tangy dressing with a touch of sweetness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: just a touch to add a subtle tang.
- Red Onion: sliced and grilled.
- Lime: I love to serve this salad with fresh lime wedges.
- Herbs: parsley or cilantro and chopped scallions add delicious freshness.
- Optional Garnishes: I love to finish my sweet potato salad off with feta cheese, black beans, and crispy bacon.
How to Make this Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
- Grill the potatoes: Toss the sliced potatoes together with oil, salt, and pepper. Preheat the grill to 350ºF and grease the grill grates. Add the sliced potatoes onto the grill and cook for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Make the dressing: In a blender, combine garlic, oil, mustard, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Grill the onion: About 10 minutes before the potatoes are done cooking, add the sliced onion to the grill. Cook until soft and fragrant.
- Assemble the salad: In a bowl, toss the sweet potatoes and grilled onion with your desired amount of dressing. Transfer to a plate and garnish as desired. Serve warm or cold with lime!
Should You Peel Sweet Potatoes Before Grilling?
Nope, there’s no need! In fact, I actually prefer to keep the potato peel on. It gets nice and crispy on the grill.
If you do prefer your sweet potatoes without the peel, feel free to peel them before you slice them. Your salad will be delicious either way!
Tips and Notes for this Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- Wash the potatoes. Since we are leaving the potato peel on, we want to make sure it’s nice and clean. Be sure to scrub the potatoes well before you slice them up to remove any dirt and grime.
- Slice how you like. You can cut the potatoes up into slices or wedges. Whichever you prefer!
- Slice the potatoes evenly. However you slice them, be sure your potatoes are cut evenly so they cook at the same rate.
- Grease the grill grates. Adding a little bit of oil to the grill grates helps prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Flip halfway through. Don’t forget to flip the potatoes halfway through the cooking time so they get nice and crispy all around.
- You’ll know the potatoes are done when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
This grilled sweet potato salad is delicious warm off the grill or chilled in the fridge!
How to Store
Leftover sweet potato salad will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
More Summer Salads You’ll Love
- Grilled Peach, Avocado, and Crab Salad with Peach Dressing
- Grilled Caesar Salad with Blackened Shrimp
- Grilled Steak Salad with Pineapple and Avocado
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad
Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Grilled Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 large sweet potatoes sliced or cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup parsley or cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- Optional: feta cheese
- Optional: 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- Optional: crispy bacon
- Preheat your grill to 350ºF and grease the grates.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place on grill and let cook for 15 minutes on each side until tender.
- While grilling, add all dressing ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes have 10 minutes left on the grill, add sliced onion to the grill and let cook for 10 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Once done grilling, gently toss sweet potatoes and grilled onion with dressing (amount as desired).
- Assemble: Place sweet potatoes and red onion on a plate. Top with more dressing if desired, feta (optional), black beans (optional), bacon (optional), parsley, cilantro, and scallions. Serve warm or cold with lime wedges.
This post was originally sponsored by Stop & Shop. All thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own!